• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

External File Storage, your preference?

ashkir

👽 Chevereto Freak
Who do you prefer to do external file storage for your Cheverto host? I'm considering it as I'm starting to use up a lot of disk space rather quickly. My CDN is taking heavy hits now and I had to up my bandwidth to be a terabyte a month. The file storage currently takes 12GB. I can easily handle a great deal more. But, I need to future proof this.

Any recommendations?

There is of course S3, but that can get costly if you don't have a lot of income coming in. A second option for you might be to get an actual server and just use it as file storage. These are getting pretty cheap now-a-days with large data packages.

I think that the best that money can buy is S3. Really good API and support for bulk operations without any hassle.

OpenStack is not that good handling bulk actions (mass delete is just plain stupid) but everything else is fine. SFTP could be good as a S3 if you fine tune the server and if you trim all the extra stuff.

FTP should be used only for personal use. Not recommended at all for anything else.

I'm trying to find a good calculator for S3, anyone know of one? Let's say, I want to limit myself to 100GB of growth (which I feel will take about 6 months). I am going to assume most of it is active for the first few months than not active very much. I want to stack it on my CDN so requests to the S3 shouldnt' be high, right?

Yes, the expensive thing of S3 is transfer not storage. If you put a good CDN on top of that you should save some transfer but I'm not sure on how much it will be.

Thinking of giving it a shot once my resources are towards their limits. I'm between that or moving over to a VPS. The interesting thing is, I'm seeing around 85 GB of transfer a month on my actual host, but, my CDN is transferring around 300 GB.

Thinking of giving it a shot once my resources are towards their limits. I'm between that or moving over to a VPS. The interesting thing is, I'm seeing around 85 GB of transfer a month on my actual host, but, my CDN is transferring around 300 GB.

Transfer also takes into account the hits made by your CDN and the files uploaded by your users.

Thank you all! I will contact my current host too, to see the costs of adding more storage. Right now I have plenty. I just really want to future proof my host while I still can and it's manageable.

I'm thinking of copying all the current images I have stored in /images/ over to S3, edit my MaxCDN pullzone to use S3 instead of myhost/images, so nothing breaks.

Just use Vultr HDD VPS. You'll get 125GB storage with 1TB transfer at just $5. The best thing is that you can scale it anytime you want.

Trust me, S3 is way costlier than you'd think. The cost of transfer is insane. I would easily hit $100 mark with them at the beginning of the launch of my chevereto website.

OneProvider

CPU: VIA Nano U2250 1.6Ghz (No IPMI)
RAM: 2GB
Hard drive(s): 1x 1000GB SSHD
Bandwidth: 1Gbps

15 Euro/month

Works great as storage.

I talked to my server provider (I've used them for the last 10 years now), so to show loyalty and all. They got me something I like and that will be expandable up to the terabyte range. I'm going to drop third party storage for now and keep everything local.

But yeah, you all are right S3 is expensive. I talked to their sales and their sales team made me even more uncomfortable. It costs 8 cents to transfer 1 GB of data, but only 3 cents to store it!

That's because Amazon wants you to buy S3 + their CDN (CloudFront). Most people think that S3 is storage+CDN already but that's plain wrong.

Thanks. I'm going to stick with MaxCDN they haven't given me any problems in the last 6 months. I like them!

That's because your hosting account is only sending information to the CDN, the CDN is then going to to distribute it to the end users. Of course some of your 85Gb will be directly to the end user, but it is a good sign that your CDN is taking up a lot of the stack. Your outgoing bandwidth for the site is calculated as the total of the two, so 385Gb as an entity. This means that if you are seeing 300 from CDN and 85 of your own, your CDN is dealing with circa 78% of your outgoing traffic.

Kimsufi are a good, cheap and reliable host for bolting on extra storage. They are the best I have found of all the server providers.

Back