• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.
  • Chevereto Support CLST

Support response

Support checklist

Exposing localhost to LAN

user_c5927

Chevereto Member
- Chevereto v4 on Ubuntu in home network. Install in Docker via https://github.com/chevereto/v4-docker-production.
Server I.P is 192.168.1.225:8040

I expect this is some elementary thing I've not done but I want to access Chevereto within my LAN only, therefore I assumed I could just access it via any device (PC, mobile etc) via above I.P:port but this does not work, I get:

With Website privacy mode=private my mobile the url switches to http://localhost:8040/login "localhost refused to connect."

With Website privacy mode=public I get at best the below but clicking anything tries localhost, which doesn't work because I'm not on the local machine.

Screenshot_20221006_112947_Chrome.jpg

Any hint on what I'm missing, like do I need something to host, push traffic around on behalf of Chevereto?

Localhost hostname is valid only for the local machine running the installation. Chevereto auto-detects the hostname, but in Docker context you must explicit indicate the hostname otherwise it prints all URLs at localhost, so when you access from LAN it will be expecting to access to localhost, at the client device.

To customize the hostname is easy as adding CHEVERETO_HOSTNAME at the compose file, in this case you need to use the target IP you want to handle as it supports local, LAN and public IP. Note that you also need to take care about the CHEVERETO_ASSET_STORAGE_URL variable which is where you are storing static assets. By default, it uses the same machine but it can be any External Storage supported API.

🤡 I had this same issue yesterday as I was testing vibration API and I needed to access local dev from my mobile phone. I've made some fixes in the Docker dev project at chevereto/v4-docker, you can try it out by running:

Code:
make demo HOSTNAME=IP_HERE

^ Replace IP_HERE with the IP you want to use.

sounds like I need to install a webserver
It already includes a web server. Note that the ports and everything are just because it is a base project and you can create your own docker-compose.yml to fit your needs (that's why I didn't took that file in the first place).

If you want to use a different web server or tweak the thing to the bone go ahead, that's the idea.

2nd point is good news then, don't want to add unnecessary stuff if it isn't required.

On the first, prod.yml is located /home/v4-docker-production/projects/

Oddly editing it then adding CHEVERETO_HOSTNAME: 192.168.1.225 had made no difference, rebooting the machine as well. Unless I need to start over which will then reference these updates when make image is ran?

You'll have to redeploy your container. You need to map storage to your local drive if you want to persist files.

Back