• Hey Guest, don't forget to VOTE on each RFC topic. Your voting determine Chevereto development! No votes, no development.
  • Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Do not block banned users from accessing the public section of the website

lovedigit

👽 Chevereto Freak
💡Describe your Feature request

As announced on this post, on the next update banned users will not be able to access the website at all.
It is a good idea when you intend to ban spammers, but in case you want to soft ban users for violating TOS of the website, it is an overkill. We want users to be able to use contact form, or visit other intended pages even after they're banned.

Specially, it doesn't make sense if users can't access the tos, privacy, contact and payment page, when we are explaining to them why they're banned. I usually send link to these pages to the users, so they can read about it in detail, or contact us from contact page. Once they fix the issue that was violating the terms of service, their account is unbanned.

Implementation of denying access to these users completely from the website will going to do more harm than good. Spammers usually don't try to access the website after uploading the images and writing keyword rich account description. And they usually always use different IP address each time.

One solution for this can be two state of bans. Hard-ban, Soft ban. We can call it restricted & banned respectively.
Another option is to logout user after showing the 403 error. So, next time they visit website they can access the website as guest.

Please don't deny access to banned users completely. It will break the moderation, which is already too difficult with the current available tools.

I know I am jumping to the assumption once again without testing the final product, but if it is what I understand, it will do more harm than good.
Because good users will not be able to use contact form to fix the issue after minor violations.

👏Where did you see this?

No where.

🔥Interest outside our community

No.

This is why I asked not to block banned users entirely. Show them a message and log them out, so that they can access the website as guest instead.
Or, give two options to soft ban or hard ban users.

517_5rqwJiac2N.png

Last edited:
There should be two ways to ban. 1.Ban user itself but not ip 2. Ban ip as secondary if needed.

That way people won't be banned all together.

Last beta update blocks banned users on first request. It is not IP ban, entire website access is denied if status is banned.
Not all users are spammers who are banned. Some are banned because of violation of rules, and they should have access to the TOS page (which can't be access anymore) and other relevant page so they can review what they've done wrong, and whether they can fix it.
Whether they can fix it or not, users generally contact us via contact form (Which is blocked as well after the update).
I don't understand why this change was implemented without giving option to soft ban users.
I am not against it. It is a good addition, but shouldn't be a replacement of previous system. We should have both options.

Last edited:
I agree with this!

A custom page would be nicer that matches the design instead of this:

cheverror.png

For example they can do the usual login, navigate around the site but upload functions are disabled and show a banned message something like this:

cheverror2.png

Someone tried to appeal a ban today, but was unable to contact us as unable to see the website until they cleared cookies* to logout then emailed us.

I agree with this!

A custom page would be nicer that matches the design instead of this:

View attachment 4580

For example they can do the usual login, navigate around the site but upload functions are disabled and show a banned message something like this:

View attachment 4581

Someone tried to appeal a ban today, but was unable to contact us as unable to see the website until they cleared cookies* to logout then emailed us.
This is exactly the scenario I was trying to explain. But, I couldn't convey it well enough. Until, we don't have multiple level of bans, we need users to be able to contact us to appeal the ban, or just explain why we should consider unabaning them. Without access to at least contact page and TOS page, they can't reach us. Current error message also doesn't make sense to many of them as not all of them as tech savy to understand that it is the website which has blocked them, and not the fault of the server/their internet.

It makes perfect sense when it is applied to bots/spammers, but everyone else it is too harsh and often damaging to the website and its users.

This is exactly the scenario I was trying to explain. But, I couldn't convey it well enough. Until, we don't have multiple level of bans, we need users to be able to contact us to appeal the ban, or just explain why we should consider unabaning them. Without access to at least contact page and TOS page, they can't reach us. Current error message also doesn't make sense to many of them as not all of them as tech savy to understand that it is the website which has blocked them, and not the fault of the server/their internet.

It makes perfect sense when it is applied to bots/spammers, but everyone else it is too harsh and often damaging to the website and its users.
Yeah, definitely! Normally people reach us on Twitter to be unbanned (or ask about why they got banned). However, the majority of them don't and assume we're having technical issues and it's the site..

Back