• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Disable/Enable Delete option for Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpupload

Chevereto Member
Disable/Enable Delete listings or albums option for Users, So if we disable this functionality users can't delete listings only admins can delete.

+1

I've had to amend quite a few files to implement this and I couldn't use Chevereto without it. Loosing content because someone deletes their files would be disastrous. It's part of my t&c's that content is not deletable except in exceptional cirmunstances.

I still allow file deletion but only on request to the admin via the Contact Form.

So yes, it gets my vote ;)

I don't think that end-users will like to upload images to a website that doesn't allow you to delete what you upload. I mean, I won't ever upload something to your website if you don't allow me the freedom of delete my own uploads.

Sometimes you have to think in the end-user and something like this sounds awesome to don't lose content, sure you will get less 404 errors but boy everybody will hate this stuff.

Way I see it, you will get permanent content but it will be drastically fewer than current situation. Having said that, I'm not sure if this should be added.

That's why i said Disable/Enable, I think so many users will like this functionality. 99% of websites or forums don't give permission for users to delete their own threads. And, if one user uploaded 10000+ images, If he deleted all his images at once, what will happen? Total, 10000+ not fond urls. this is very bad according to Google.

If you think this is not good, just make it Enable by default, if some body want to disable this functionality they can disable. I think many chevereto user will love this.

I don't think that end-users will like to upload images to a website that doesn't allow you to delete what you upload. I mean, I won't ever upload something to your website if you don't allow me the freedom of delete my own uploads.

Sometimes you have to think in the end-user and something like this sounds awesome to don't lose content, sure you will get less 404 errors but boy everybody will hate this stuff.

Way I see it, you will get permanent content but it will be drastically fewer than current situation. Having said that, I'm not sure if this should be added.
I personally had to disable expirable downloads. Google Adsense started freaking out at the fact that I had 15k images disappear in six months.

For me is quite easy to add this one so I will add it. I just hope your users don't get shenanigans about this.

How I manage it it is to put a "Deletion Request" on the Contact Form. Then if someone wants something deleting then I do it. Basically it's just an insurance policy against people deleting on mass. Many of the pictures are displayed on forums and it would destroy those topics if the images were to disappear. I have never had anyone complain at that approach.

Some years back I had a forum where someone deleted about a thousand of their posts because they had an argument with another member. That destroyed hundreds of topics because they made no sense anymore and Google did not like it.

Another option of course is for them to go into a recycle bin, hidden but not gone. However, I would say that would need to be an additional option if ability to "Delete" was active. Thats probably easy to do as it's just reassigning the image to be completely hidden and maybe held in hidden "Recycle" folder (admin access only). Could add a tpl-item in item_image_edit_tools.php of "Restore" if required on images in that folder, and use existing "Delete" to remove them permanently. Just an an additional idea.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back