• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.
  • Chevereto Support CLST

Support response

Support checklist

• ⚠️ Got a Something went wrong message? Read this guide and provide the actual error. Do not skip this.
    • ✅ Confirm that the server meets the System Requirements
    • 🔥 Check for any available Hotfix - your issue could be already reported/fixed
    • 📚 Read documentation - It will be required to Debug and understand Errors for a faster support response

Chevereto installs fine, but site is inaccessible.

Version
4 (latest)
PHP version
whatever is included in docker
Database driver
MySQL
Database version
whatever is included in docker
Web browser
firefox, chrome, any

user_e5286

Chevereto Member
I just got Chevereto 4 and I am using the recommended Docker installation method.
Everything installs fine. However, I am unable to access the site with the internal ip, localhost, etc., anything.

I tried this on a fresh Ubuntu 22.04 install, and also Debian 11. Same exact situation in both.

There was one installation where I couldn't get the make proxy command to work, so I skipped that step. Then, actually, the site was up and accessible with localhost, and all that. However, when I had it that way, I was not able to get my reverse proxy working with it. The reverse proxy I am using is swag, and the DNS is cloudflare.

I suspect it has something to do with nginx. Chevereto installs with it's own nginx using ports 80/443.

What is the recommended configuration when Chevereto is to be run behind another reverse proxy that is taking care of the external dns, certs, etc.?

What is the recommended configuration when Chevereto is to be run behind another reverse proxy that is taking care of the external dns, certs, etc.?
The docker project is intended to be used as the only system delivering HTTP server in a single machine. It takes care of DNS, certs and CloudFlare. It is made that way because it can serve N instances at the same time with zero extra effort.

For your case you need to follow the "pure docker" instructions. With that you get a container running at the port you pick. No cert, dns, anything, just a container at a port. From there is trivial to wire it to any infra you need to setup.

The docker project is intended to be used as the only system delivering HTTP server in a single machine. It takes care of DNS, certs and CloudFlare. It is made that way because it can serve N instances at the same time with zero extra effort.

For your case you need to follow the "pure docker" instructions. With that you get a container running at the port you pick. No cert, dns, anything, just a container at a port. From there is trivial to wire it to any infra you need to setup.
Ah, thank you Rodolfo. I will try that.

OK, so I tried the pure docker method.

Fresh Ubuntu 22.04
First, had to build the image using the steps on the docker page.
Ran the long pure docker command, and everything went fine.

But I get the "Something Went Wrong" message when I access the site.

So, this was better than when I used the long docker install process with the make proxy steps, in that I can access the site internally (using localhost). But now what?

OK, I think I found out what I was doing wrong, but not sure how to fix....

The part where I have to build the image, I build it and then it ends by saying it has created the tags that are to be used by docker. However, when I run the paid version docker command, it says that repository is not available or I need a docker login, stuff like that. It can't find it, and I don't know what to do at that point.

So what I accidentally did is use the docker command below it with the ghcr.io image, which does work, but not the paid version.

So I am stuck at the part where docker run can't use the image it just created. I tried on fresh ubuntu, and debian, same results.

OK I will try debugging later. I got it working with the paid image, but I couldn't use it with the tag chevereto:latest, but it worked if I used chevereto:4.
But then, I ended up with the same Something went wrong.

Question about the namespace method:
if my domain is reverse proxied as photos.domain.com
and then i create namespace1, and namespace2
what happens? can i create a namespace using localhost? and then reverse proxy it to photos.domain.com?
is it better to not do that and create the namespace with photos.domain.com host?

Success somewhat...I tried the VPS method again on a fresh install of Ubuntu. It worked all the way through. And now I can access the site fully using localhost or my internal IP. However, it doesn't work with the reverse proxy.

There are two steps; cloudflare remote IP and certbot https setup. I skipped these, and the reverse proxy didn't work. Then, I did go through the steps and reverse proxy still won't work. But the certbot step gave me an error, which makes sense as this is all on a network with a reverse proxy already using 80-443. Now, most apps, once I get the localhost working, I just add the reverse proxy, and it works. So I am not sure what I need to do here. I am indeed using cloudflare, but not directly on the site (it goes through the reverse proxy).

Any advice would be appreciate.

Rodolfo, my question is can i skip the certbot step since i already have a cloudflare+reverse proxy and this is just a subdomain? it would return an error anyway if i ran it.

domain = domain.com (A name)
subdomain = chevereto.domain.com (CNAME)

if i run:
certbot --apache -d domain.com -d chevereto.domain.com

i will get an error

so that is why i feel i should skip both cloudlfare and this step, but then i feel the install wont work period.

Last edited:
I have two installs going, one as I described above using the VPS method.

I did the recommended docker install again, and now I see a message:

network nginx-proxy declared as external, but could not be found
make: *** [Makefile:187: up-d] Error 1

This is using the default chevereto namespace (with localhost?). I believe this is the root of my problem. My proxy is on another machine...how can i make it work with this?

Back