• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Changing Hosts

thezanny

Chevereto Member
I'm running the 2.01 version, the Kisa. My hosting is full of images and reached 25GB with 50000+ images. Now, I bought another small VPS so that I can continue the hosting service.
How can I migrate from my current hosting to the other? Importing all the images and also with the db?

Exactly, i advice you to ZIP all your website and download it from the other VPS2, so you don't need to download on your pc and reupload on VPS2.

Thank you for the advice mate.
The thing is, my current hosting is OVH and I can't find any option to zip the whole site. And is there a way to download the zip via the ssh root cmd of the VPS2?

Now are u using a VPS? If yes you can run that command:
Code:
tar -zcvf media-backup-site.tar.gz FOLDER

where FOLDER is the name of the folder that u want to zip. Then put the backup on your site and you can download it with wget from other VPS2.

I'm not on a VPS with the current OVH. It's the basic Shared Hosting Plan. That's the biggest problem.

Ah I see. If you can't tar or zip it and if you don't have shell access then your only option is to download the images directory, set up the DNS on the vps, upload the images directory to your VPS and install a fresh Chevereto BUT make sure you set the options for the directory name in the config and use the update tool.

Am downloading the whole /www folder now.
I'll upload the /images folder to the VPS.
Now, should I upload the thumbnails folder too? And also make the db and add the old settings?

You have to copy all the public folder and the db. Then connect the script with the db.

The current host doesn't allow to export db. I took all the images out. Updated the DNS and nameservers. Uploaded the images to the new server.

Now there's a problem with the name servers. I'm doomed. Is there anyone who can set me the nameservers things using kloxo control panel please?
I'm stuck there and can't move ahead. Please guys

You need to set the name servers on your domain, where you have it registered.

Done. Waiting for the DNS Caching. Now, guys, I want your help . I'm a newbie to the web things. So, I wish to gain your help to move my website from the old Shared to the new VPS :
Can someone step by step explain me of how to do it?

Usually it's done like this:

1. Download all your files and sub-folders from the folder you've installed Chevereto in from your shared hosting account (usually from the public_html folder, or httpdocs folder if you use Plesk) to your PC using an FTP program like FileZilla
2. Export the database using phpMyAdmin (phpMyAdmin is usually included in your shared hosting account) and save it to your PC. There's usually no need to compres the database unless your database is extremely big.
3. Upload all the files to your new VPS with Filezilla
4. Create a new database (and database user + password) in your VPS.
5. Import the database (*. sql) file using phpMyAdmin. If you run into trouble read this excellent tutorial.
6. Edit the includes/config.php file with a text editor (Notepad++ is a good one) and fill the new database-data from your new database
7. Upload the updated includes/config.php file with FileZilla, overwriting the old one.

You might need to change folder permissions (chmod with FileZilla, right click). Set the image folder to 777 to get your new site to work.

Good Luck! It's not that difficult, I also went from shared to VPS and have moved several sites, without too much trouble.

Back