• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Can chevereto handle 50MB images?

• Thread starter Deleted member 76899
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 76899

Hi all,

Let me introduce my image hosting website. www.mkerala.com is my image hosting website. I started it 1 year ago and it became an instant hit. It runs on CF Image hosting script which is free and wonderful.But over the past few months my website has outgrown too much to a point were CF image hosting scripts file database cannot handle 10k+ images. So I am looking for a new script which will suite my website.

My website is a GIF image hosting website. The reason why mkerala.com is a hit is because only mkerala.com offer image hosting with 30MG GIF images. Currently I get about 250+ image upload everyday. The following are my requirements.
  • Should be able to handle images up to 50MB in size.
  • Should have a SQL database which can handle any number of images.
  • Should support ads on every pages.
  • Should be flexible and modifiable.
I saw chevereto V3 and very much like it and looking forward for official release. Also please provide me with access to demo admin panel.

Hi,

Hanlde X number of images or users or anything is not so much about the script but the complete architecture being used. For this reply lets agree that architecture of a web application is the code + server + database, this is not an accurate description but it will work to understand what we are talking about.

As far as I'm aware CF doesn't use database server and it uses static files or something like that to store the data which is a really important bottleneck that doesn't allow you to go beyond 10k and makes the data handling a complete misery. This limits what you can do with the data and how efficiently you can achieve tasks that for Chevereto are normal stuff. Now, CF limited your capacity and that is unlocked in Chevereto which makes the capacity a matter of your installed hardware and network.

Chevereto uses MySQL database and support for additional database drivers could be added in the future if I notice that it could improve things. Chevereto for V3 also sets the bar pretty high in terms of everything. Like new features but also its foundation, For Chevereto I developed a PHP framework to make the code even more readable, universal and coherent. You can even test this framework right now: http://gbackslash.com

If you can host what you are saying that you host then you won't have any issues with Chevereto which is heavily optimized and extensible. But hosting large images is always a challenging thing for the server. Request times are very long, PHP has to handle large files to perform image resizing, you can easily get your traffic to the roof, etc. This is where the server and the network become really important because you can easily screw it.

To upload and handle a file of 30MB you will need chunked upload (not yet apply) if the peer (client) has a slow connection with your server, you will also need more memory, more execution time, etc. In this scenario the best thing is have a more tailored architecture where you switch from PHP libraries (like php gd) to pure gd in the machine (waaaay faster). I'm studying the possibility of add this kind of improvements as a "server bundle" special license but I'm not convinced yet.

Anyway. bottom line is that if CF works fine for you then Chevereto will also works for you and not just that it will be a complete staggering experience.

Last edited:
Thank you for the fast reply.

I have done many modifications to CF to support 30MB images. It is working fine without much issue. Many visitors are uploading 30MB images without a problem. I also use cloudflare which takes most of the bandwidth and load out of the my server.

Can please provide access to admin panel? Also where can I get themes for chevereto?

Back