• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.
  • Chevereto Support CLST

Support response

Support checklist

BuyVM for External Storage

Anything with good network will suit for external storage. Try to use SFTP.

Thanks!

Would it be better to have a storage server closer in location to the main server or closer to a majority of my users?

Always closer to your users. Servers have superb network speeds, average user doesn't.

Thank you!

If I have three external locations: Such as Los Angeles, Sydney, and Germany, will chevereto decide which one it goes to automatically based upon connection/user location, or will it just assign one at random? I'm assuming it is random?

Thank you!

If I have three external locations: Such as Los Angeles, Sydney, and Germany, will chevereto decide which one it goes to automatically based upon connection/user location, or will it just assign one at random? I'm assuming it is random?

For this you need to utilize a CDN. If a user connects to your site from Germany, the image will be served from a server as close as possible to Germany.

For this you need to utilize a CDN. If a user connects to your site from Germany, the image will be served from a server as close as possible to Germany.
Already done, but that is for serving, not uploading content. By having a closer to the user, they can "upload" faster, which a CDN has no effect on.

Upload speed doesn't depend that much on latency but in peer upload rate. Low latency matters for gaming, small files or stuff like that, but for uploading or serve large files it won't matter that much. When you are close or far of any server it won't make a difference if your upload rate is capped.

When you add a CDN the most notorious effect is that the main server has less stuff to worry about and you feel it faster, but is just that traffic goes through different wires so the network is less stressed and requests get fulfilled sooner in the main server. Of course, a CDN is highly optimized to deliver static content using a network of relays, but you can emulate the same stuff just adding several storage servers.

So the cap in the upload speed is that one machine is doing that job. If you add another machine you will cut delays in half and so on with each additional machine power. A distributed network gets you the premium tier response and I hope to help in that process by adding an own distributed upload system, that will be a huge improvement.

Ordered a buyVM this morning and it's still pending. Which is good, they have people doing manual work which generates labour, which generates money, which generates happy people exept me, I'm stil pending.

Yeah. I don't understand the price. I get like 1-2 flukes a week where it cannot write. But out of a hundred thousand images, it's negligible.

Not sure I would be comfortable with the "Unlimited Bandwidth" part, as has been discussed before, unlimited bandwidth doesn't really exist, from their "Acceptable Use Policy" page,

'1,1,1 - Resource Abuse consists of any activity, intentional or otherwise, that consumes sufficient system resources to negatively affect other clients or equipment.'

tomsit, why you switching from Vultr?

Not sure I would be comfortable with the "Unlimited Bandwidth" part, as has been discussed before, unlimited bandwidth doesn't really exist, from their "Acceptable Use Policy" page,

'1,1,1 - Resource Abuse consists of any activity, intentional or otherwise, that consumes sufficient system resources to negatively affect other clients or equipment.'

I questioned them about it and asked if I could use it for my purposes. They let me. I also use a CDN so load on them is negligible.

I still use Vultr. But I'm always on the lookout for cheap storage. And as Ashkir says, CDN and your safe.

Update: I've had a server crash from BuyVM and it looks like the data is not retrieveable.

Back