• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Albums within Albums

ashkir

👽 Chevereto Freak
I would like to suggest albums within albums to allow users who like to sort a great deal to sort even further. This would allow images to be categorized and subcategorizied by some user's tastes. For example:

• Album 2016
    • January
      • Red Pencil Dinner
      • Stars of the Night Fundraiser
        • Donor Raffles
      • NameCo Lunch
    • February
Should get the structure out a bit, to just allow some extreme sub album sorting can help a great deal in making things organized on a user level.

I see that is very common that all ends up into named albums and date-based albums (or images, doesn't matter). What I'm trying to say is that instead of adding multi-level albums we should have a listing grouped by Year > Month > Day, just like Google photos.

I'm saying this because is very common to try to get a photo of last vacation and stuff and it could get really messy with sub-albums.

I honestly don't think Year -> Month -> Day is all that useful, heck I would be lucky to remember the exact date (even the month) of many of my vacations and I am sure as I get older even remembering the year may prove impossible.

I would like to see the option added even if not all of my users will use it.

- Vacations
- - 2015 Morocco Vacation
- - - Al Hoceima National Park

Using the above example means no matter when the event occurred I could find the pictures I took while at Al Hoceima National Park and then easily share them on facebook or whatever.

I honestly don't think Year -> Month -> Day is all that useful

Then why so many apps are doing it in that way? That must be all wrong isn't... I think that you can't just say that it won't be useful because it is something that everybody does so if you say that isn't useful you are saying that everybody else is wrong. Everybody list by date and some group by years, months and such because that's how most people browse their photo stuff.

Sub-albums are just a complicated solution to a very simple listing issue: Show me photos. That's why the system has albums, categories, search and eventually it will have tags. Sub-albums looks very fancy indeed but that's all, for the average end user it will just complicate things.

Facebook, Google photos, Flickr, etc. don't have sub-albums for a very good reason: It complicates the user interface. Less is more.

At this time I will label this a out of scope.

Last edited:
Then why so many apps are doing it in that way? That must be all wrong isn't... I think that you can't just say that it won't be useful because it is something that everybody does so if you say that isn't useful you are saying that everybody else is wrong. Everybody list by date and some group by years, months and such because that's how most people browse their photo stuff.

Sub-albums are just a complicated solution to a very simple listing issue: Show me photos. That's why the system has albums, categories, search and eventually it will have tags. Sub-albums looks very fancy indeed but that's all, for the average end user it will just complicate things.

Facebook, Google photos, Flickr, etc. don't have sub-albums for a very good reason: It complicates the user interface. Less is more.

At this time I will label this a out of scope.
Sometimes you come across rude...

That said, just because many other "apps" are playing "follow the leader" doesn't mean the solution they are using is the best for the end user.

I am certain you don't keep all the data on your computer in single deep directories/folders using nothing but the date to locate the file you need. All operating system using folders within folders within folders to keep everything organized..why should it be any different when the data you are storing are your family photos?

For my sites I am not trying to just become the next imgur, I am wanting to grow a community where people store their photos, share them, organize them, etc. everything I thought Chevereto was designed to do...if Chevereto is only a tool to build the next imgur I am afraid I chose the wrong tool for the job.

Last edited:
At this time I won't complicate this stuff because is not either a must have and the industry telling me that is not needed. I insist, you shouldn't underestimate the big guys because they have large resources and their development force is huge compared with me and if they don't have sub-albums it is not because no one came with that idea.

Neither you or me are experts when it came to how is the best way to show albums on the web. In my case when I don't known about something I look what others do, I search for references and see what others do. That said, I will follow up what the industry does.

Also, Chevereto is not about clone what others do but that doest means that I will add everything what people suggest me to add just because others doesn't offer that.

Sorry if sounds rude, I always sound rude in English.

Saludos,
Rodolfo.

Last edited:
Thank you. I completely understand. I see that tags are a feature being pushed by you soon. The tags can work just as well as this feature. Tags can "create" the illusion of albums on demand. We can use that instead.

Back