• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

A Question about my External Storage........

Phil Boyd

Chevereto Member
I've used BackBlaze for about 2 years now, the free option and so far it's worked out pretty good for me. I've got just over 8100 images and less than 2 GB stored. They are uploaded from a VERY small forum. Occasionally I get a notice that I've reached 75% of my "Class B Transactions". One 1 occasion I actually hit the 100% limit. The limit is 2500. I think i understand what the Class B transaction is, but if you feel like explaining it go ahead.

My problem is, where are these transactions coming from? Like I said before, this is a very small ProBoards forum. I would be surprised if there are 2500 page impressions on the entire forum in a day. Is it possible to get an idea of what files are being accessed and from where they are being accessed from? If there is somewhere in my BackBlaze admin for this I am completely missing it. I've contacted support but they really aren't much help.

And this might be a silly question, but is there something besides actual viewers that may be triggering this? Bots or something that I can actually limit access from?

Those are the limits of the image views. Some of the users might be hotlinking those images and abusing them. So you need to find those images and block them.

Those are the limits of the image views. Some of the users might be hotlinking those images and abusing them. So you need to find those images and block them.
I did think about that, but how do I determine what images they are? And, I guess the hot linking would be from the forum?
Is this an issue with Pro Boards?

For hotlink protection via Apache
You can edit the .htaccess file either with the normal editor of your operating system, or you can use a source code editor for web pages.

Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} ^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http(s)?://(www.)?example\.de [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http(s)?://subdomain\.example\.de [NC]
RewriteRule \.(jpg|jpeg|png|gif)$ - [NC,R,L]

Replace the "example.de" in this code with your own domain again, so that the rule is adapted to your website.

You should also add your subdomains, if you have any. In the example you will find a "subdomain\.example\.de".

If you already have a htaccess file, you can check if the first two lines "RewriteEngine On" and "RewriteBase /" already exist. You do not need these lines twice.

It is only important that the 2nd block from "RewriteCond ..." is directly below. If these rules are listed in the middle or last, the rules will not work.

For hotlink protection via Apache
You can edit the .htaccess file either with the normal editor of your operating system, or you can use a source code editor for web pages.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} ^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http(s)?://(www.)?example\.de [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http(s)?://subdomain\.example\.de [NC]
RewriteRule \.(jpg|jpeg|png|gif)$ - [NC,R,L][/CODE]

Replace the "example.de" in this code with your own domain again, so that the rule is adapted to your website.

You should also add your subdomains, if you have any. In the example you will find a "subdomain\.example\.de".

If you already have a htaccess file, you can check if the first two lines "RewriteEngine On" and "RewriteBase /" already exist. You do not need these lines twice.

It is only important that the 2nd block from "RewriteCond ..." is directly below. If these rules are listed in the middle or last, the rules will not work.

Ok, I have the default .htaccess file that comes with the Chevereto installation. I haven't touched it.

Here it is:
# Disable server signature
ServerSignature Off

# Disable directory listing (-indexes), Multiviews (-MultiViews) and enable Follow system links (+FollowSymLinks)
Options -Indexes
Options -MultiViews
Options +FollowSymLinks

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine On

# If you have problems with the rewrite rules remove the "#" from the following RewriteBase line
# You will also have to change the path to reflect the path to your Chevereto installation
# If you are using alias is most likely that you will need this.
#RewriteBase /

# 404 images
# If you want to have your own fancy "image not found" image remove the "#" from RewriteCond and RewriteRule lines
# Make sure to apply the correct paths to reflect your current installation
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule images/.+\.(gif|jpe?g|png|bmp) - [NC,L,R=404]
#RewriteRule images/.+\.(gif|jpe?g|png|bmp) content/images/system/default/404.gif [NC,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !\.(css|js|html|htm|rtf|rtx|svg|svgz|txt|xsd|xsl|xml|asf|asx|wax|wmv|wmx|avi|bmp|class|divx|doc|docx|exe|gif|gz|gzip|ico|jpe?g|jpe|mdb|mid|midi|mov|qt|mp3|m4a|mp4|m4v|mpeg|mpg|mpe|mpp|odb|odc|odf|odg|odp|ods|odt|ogg|pdf|png|pot|pps|ppt|pptx|ra|ram|swf|tar|tif|tiff|wav|wma|wri|xla|xls|xlsx|xlt|xlw|zip)$ [NC]
RewriteRule . index.php [L]

</IfModule>

# php -- BEGIN cPanel-generated handler, do not edit
# This domain inherits the “PHP” package.
# php -- END cPanel-generated handler, do not edit
Where exactly would I place the code you provided? I have no sub-domains.

And just 1 question - What's the difference between hotlinking and someone using the embed code for the image?

@DeCysos, i think he want hotlinking in his fourm and not a portection.

Perhaps its a result from bot, like Google Bot, Bing Bot and so on, they crawl your imagehosting site. But i am not sure about that.

@DeCysos, i think he want hotlinking in his fourm and not a portection.

Perhaps its a result from bot, like Google Bot, Bing Bot and so on, they crawl your imagehosting site. But i am not sure about that.
Yes. Sorry - I wasn't clear.
Anyway I just went and got the paid the account and set the cap at a whole $1. This is only the second time in almost 3 years I hit the limit.
So I guess my next post will be "How do I make money with my image host site".

But I'd still like to know how I was having so many transactions with hardly any traffic.

How do I make money with my image host site

If you are looking for the answer, then it is tough for you to make money online only by running image host as there are many big providers already there.

You need to plan it wisely and execute it.

Back