• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.
  • Chevereto Support CLST

Support response

Support checklist

Word Press + Chevereto - Same login session?

Kayz

Chevereto Member
Is there anyway I can implement the same WordPress sessions for Chevereto?

So if users are able to log into WordPress they are automatically signed into Chevereto?

No currently there is no SSO support. I've checked from a third party freelance company and they said it would take about $1500 to get it done.

Alternatively if it is not SSO....

An account created on WordPress also creates the same login credentials for Chevereto? Whilst maintaining separate sessions...

Hmmm did you get this quote online?

Yes, it was online. Some developers from India, but they seemed kind of serious with their work.

Alternatively if it is not SSO....

An account created on WordPress also creates the same login credentials for Chevereto? Whilst maintaining separate sessions...

I don't know about this. Everything is possible, but getting it done for free is nearly impossible.

No currently there is no SSO support. I've checked from a third party freelance company and they said it would take about $1500 to get it done.

Looks like this has been requested in the past before:
https://chevereto.com/community/threads/multiple-subdomain-site-single-sign-on.7634/

Perhaps we as a community can chip in to get SSO done. This feature is a no brainer. If you can integrated into your website forums/ existing user login system etc and allow people to upload images as part of their existing profile it open up new doors to Chevereto. Especiallly in collecting communities.

Why not just use Google/Facebook sign in for both Chevereto and Wordpress? It is much easier to implement and convenient to use.

Why not just use Google/Facebook sign in for both Chevereto and Wordpress? It is much easier to implement and convenient to use.

SSO is more than just wordpress.

SSO in general will work with any exiting system (custom php site, forum site etc) via say a API key (master slave relationships) to Chevereto.

You also can't force your existing user base to signup again. Wordpress as an example has been around long before facebook integration lol..

There are sites out there that have been running for 20 years with thousands of users.

I'll use IPboard as an example. It lets you install it on your site and essentially what it does it when a user logs in on your site and then visit the forum, it automatically creates that username on the forum platform in the forum database. Instead of using two sets of logins and two sets of passwords, it then uses a key to identify and log in. This is what Chevereto needs to be very versatile with all system.

Read more about it here: https://invisioncommunity.com/4docs/advanced-usage/development/ips-connect-r99/

SSO is more than just wordpress.

SSO in general will work with any exiting system (custom php site, forum site etc) via say a API key (master slave relationships) to Chevereto.

You also can't force your existing user base to signup again. Wordpress as an example has been around long before facebook integration lol..

There are sites out there that have been running for 20 years with thousands of users.

I'll use IPboard as an example. It lets you install it on your site and essentially what it does it when a user logs in on your site and then visit the forum, it automatically creates that username on the forum platform in the forum database. Instead of using two sets of logins and two sets of passwords, it then uses a key to identify and log in. This is what Chevereto needs to be very versatile with all system.

Read more about it here: https://invisioncommunity.com/4docs/advanced-usage/development/ips-connect-r99/

That is exactly my point. Why use a login at all when you can use universal SSO like Google/Facebook? Over 60% users on my site use social login as username/password for each site is now thing of the past. The rest 40% are majority spammers and one day I may even remove the old username and password login.

Even though not old as 20 years, Google/Facebook accounts are very common for the last 10 years. I bet over 90% internet users will have either one of this. There is not much to sign up as it just two clicks away for a new user to login with Google/Facebook accounts.

You have to also think about the complexities in implementing something like this. If as you say you have a 20 year old blog or forum, think about the amount of users you need to import to Chevereto database which majority of them have never logged in for many years and may not need a image upload site account. Another thing will be keeping both database in sync consistently for new user replication.

The purpose of systems like Chevereto is to allow you to self-host an image sharing solution. Chances are that you also want your self-hosted blog, forum, ecommerce, etc. The problem is that most of these software solutions won't connect with each other making a really annoying task to custom develop a bridge for each system.

Having SSO allows you to let users identify once for all the stuff you may want to use. It is a must have for software like Chevereto.

That is exactly my point. Why use a login at all when you can use universal SSO like Google/Facebook? Over 60% users on my site use social login as username/password for each site is now thing of the past. The rest 40% are majority spammers and one day I may even remove the old username and password login.

Even though not old as 20 years, Google/Facebook accounts are very common for the last 10 years. I bet over 90% internet users will have either one of this. There is not much to sign up as it just two clicks away for a new user to login with Google/Facebook accounts.

You have to also think about the complexities in implementing something like this. If as you say you have a 20 year old blog or forum, think about the amount of users you need to import to Chevereto database which majority of them have never logged in for many years and may not need a image upload site account. Another thing will be keeping both database in sync consistently for new user replication.

The issue is humans are lazy by nature. Once they signed up, they will not want to signup again for another part of your site. they get angry and walk away, or expect you to sign them up. SSO fixes that issue.

@Rodolfo summarised it well with his one paragraph reply on what i tried to explain in an essay lol.

You don't have to import everyone at all; we have SSO setup with other systems and we only create an account for them on the other system when they first attempt to access the site - so you're then only creating accounts for people that actually need/want one; plus you also don't need to worry about the initial account creation as it is done on a as-needed basis.

As for social login, just because they can login you into a site doesn't mean you're automatically going to be logged into all the sites in the network once you are logged in - this still requires SSO, whatever method you use, standard login or social login, still requires a form of SSO; it is possible however that if ALL sites in your network support social logins and they are somehow are able to communicate you are already logged in with a social login then it could keep you logged in across the network, but TBH you are hoping for a lot with that method and it is still a form of SSO.

I would like to point out. If you have OAuth compatible forum this would be the way to go.

Back