• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

VPS Software Preference

Drifter

Chevereto Member
So, finally decided to "pull the trigger" for a VPS. That said, I seem to recall v4.0 having an affinity for Ubuntu. Is one OS better than another? I'll likely move my shared "test" sites over as well so trying to keep a "neutral" OS. Looking for thoughts on this.

The Ubuntu distribution is used in both Chevereto and Chevere development and testing, when using Ubuntu you use the same stuff I use to build and try the software.

As it is Debian based, any compatible distro should work in a similar manner, 1:1, but I prefer Ubuntu because is backed by Canonical and their fixed LTS releases are comfortable to consume. I'm using Ubuntu since 2016 and I'm very happy with the Ubuntu distribution.

CentOS 7, EOL in 2024
CentOS 8 and 9 are dead, not stable released anymore.

I am aware of the EOL on CentOS, but when I was using CentOS it was the most stable for running a Chevereto site with 4 Million images. Ubuntu was constantly freezing / crashing with kernel dumps.

I'm now using dedicated servers now running Cloud Linux.

• Wow
Reactions: rdn
I can maybe agree on that, I have all my small to medium site on Ubuntu 20 & 22 LTS servers.

But some very important XF2 forums I managed with 18.8M, 23.5M, 23.3M, and 43M post are still using CentOS 7.9 as it's really stable for heavy usage (PHP and Mysql).
We have few more months until June 30, 2024 to decide which is the best replacement.

But Chevereto isn't heavy on PHP/Mysql usage, I can cached 99% of its full page request for 1 month (no PHP or Mysql usage, just pure Nginx).
Ubuntu was constantly freezing / crashing with kernel dumps.
What server stack you are using on this by the way?

Back