• Hey Guest, don't forget to VOTE on each RFC topic. Your voting determine Chevereto development! No votes, no development.
  • Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Sorting by certain criteria - ex. Taken Date from Exif

sinh29

Chevereto Member
My site using Chevereto to manage photos from Events, Trips, Trips planning, ideas brainstorm etc.. The photos will be uploaded by multiples users. Currently, the album is manage separately by users so we use category to put the images on same topic into one place. [it sound similar but I separate them as it is different feature suggestion]

For events / trips, some could be several days or weeks, current view of category is by upload order seem confusing when review it. It would be great if able to sort by taken date [for those photos that have EXIF data].

Thanks!

I don't think that is a safe idea to sort content based on exploitable data like the Exif data. However, I'm aware on that a way to organize photos based on the time taken should be a nice feature, specially for those who use personal mode. To be honest I don't like the idea from the community side of the system, mostly because some may use this to spam the system with content at the top based on Exif date. In the other hand, users could enjoy a better way to view their photos.

For chronological order view, can we have properties for taken timestamp that extract from Exif when upload. I just wonder if EXIF exploit is all that aware of, is there a safe way to extract only the valid timestamp? so the sorting is not based on EXIF :)

Taken date is just one sample, thinking about sorting, I do want to organized the photos in certain orders, even in manually assign orders, especially in group album where it may serve different purposes. Wonder if it is only me want to organize online albums like I do with my "hard-album".

I think when the "group album" roll out, the needs of sorting will rising as it is inconvenient to review the album based on upload/A-Z naming order...

Problem with Exif data is that you can write any data to any file so it is not reliable at all. What I'm trying to say is that a feature like this will be amazing for personal or curated websites where the uploads are fine images, but for everything else it won't fit.

So it should be added but as an optional feature, at least that is what I think.

Last edited:
This is exactly the same question I wanted to ask but I thought to search first :)

In the site that I administer I recently uploaded a batch of photos from a trip. Whilst the order is not completely random when a batch of files are uploaded they tend to get muddled, particularly when they are from two different cameras. I even tried editing a date on one file in the database but the indexing system is obviously based on the date. Fortunately I had made a backup of the table first so I was able to look it up and restore the original upload date and time.

A nice idea, though perhaps a little complex, would be the availability of a utility to update the indexes and switch the dates to the EXIF date and time. I haven't spent the time to really search through the data base but I assume several tables would be involved. Probably it could be done as a SQL script but I really don't have those skills and I wouldn't want to screw up the entire database. (obviously one would take a backup first anyway)

Certainly I would like to see an EXIF option for uploading. Something like "if EXIF data exists use EXIF date and time, else use upload date and time"

Cheers
Peter

Back