Request to add HEIC format image support before V4.

Network license
Hi Rodolfo!

Recently, I noticed that Apple’s devices are no longer the first to use this format, and many Android phone manufacturers have also begun to introduce image files in this format to their operating systems.

This format not only has better picture quality, but most importantly, it takes up less space, which is a good thing for server storage costs.

So I strongly hope that you can add support for the HEIC (High Efficiency Image File Format) format before the V4 version, otherwise I will feel disappointed in buying Chevereto.

Rodolfo

Α & Ω
Chevereto Staff
Administrator
The introduction of ImageMagick now allows to support way more file extensions, which will allow to support "any" available format. However, it needs a transition and there are other stuff that needs attention, like deprecate GD (wich will take very long).

Also:

otherwise I will feel disappointed in buying Chevereto.
This is not the way to encourage me to keep adding features, if you want to move me consider contributing to my work, donate to support me, or sponsor the development of this.

Network license
The introduction of ImageMagick now allows to support way more file extensions, which will allow to support "any" available format. However, it needs a transition and there are other stuff that needs attention, like deprecate GD (wich will take very long).

Also:

This is not the way to encourage me to keep adding features, if you want to move me consider contributing to my work, donate to support me, or sponsor the development of this.
how much money do you need?

Rodolfo

Α & Ω
Chevereto Staff
Administrator
The standard donation fee to sponsor a new feature for Chevereto starts at $500 USD. Sponsoring a RFC put the X given feature in my top todo list and in exchange I add the feature and commit to support it in the future (within the scope of each major release). Support for 360 photos was sponsored. Someone needed Chevereto but with 360 support so I asked for sponsoring it, that's how you put work in front of my desk.

In this case HEIC support demands special handling as no browser (to date) support this format. I also got that (to date) not even email software support it, (I know is not relevant for our context but just to make a point about usage and support for this format). This kind of format could fall in the same category as raw formats that require to store .raw + .jpg (for display purposes) and Chevereto was made for shareable images.

To support this means conversions that I don't know how long will take, never worked with this format before but I assume that it won't be feasible to sneak this in the short-lived realm of V3 processing.

how much money do you need?
Being honest, I don't think that it will be wise to add HEIC now, ask me once V4 gets out.