• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Request to add HEIC format image support before V4.

Chevereto Member
Hi Rodolfo!

Recently, I noticed that Apple’s devices are no longer the first to use this format, and many Android phone manufacturers have also begun to introduce image files in this format to their operating systems.

This format not only has better picture quality, but most importantly, it takes up less space, which is a good thing for server storage costs.

So I strongly hope that you can add support for the HEIC (High Efficiency Image File Format) format before the V4 version, otherwise I will feel disappointed in buying Chevereto.

The introduction of ImageMagick now allows to support way more file extensions, which will allow to support "any" available format. However, it needs a transition and there are other stuff that needs attention, like deprecate GD (wich will take very long).

Also:

otherwise I will feel disappointed in buying Chevereto.
This is not the way to encourage me to keep adding features, if you want to move me consider contributing to my work, donate to support me, or sponsor the development of this.

The introduction of ImageMagick now allows to support way more file extensions, which will allow to support "any" available format. However, it needs a transition and there are other stuff that needs attention, like deprecate GD (wich will take very long).

Also:

This is not the way to encourage me to keep adding features, if you want to move me consider contributing to my work, donate to support me, or sponsor the development of this.
how much money do you need?

The standard donation fee to sponsor a new feature for Chevereto starts at $500 USD. Sponsoring a RFC put the X given feature in my top todo list and in exchange I add the feature and commit to support it in the future (within the scope of each major release). Support for 360 photos was sponsored. Someone needed Chevereto but with 360 support so I asked for sponsoring it, that's how you put work in front of my desk.

In this case HEIC support demands special handling as no browser (to date) support this format. I also got that (to date) not even email software support it, (I know is not relevant for our context but just to make a point about usage and support for this format). This kind of format could fall in the same category as raw formats that require to store .raw + .jpg (for display purposes) and Chevereto was made for shareable images.

To support this means conversions that I don't know how long will take, never worked with this format before but I assume that it won't be feasible to sneak this in the short-lived realm of V3 processing.

how much money do you need?
Being honest, I don't think that it will be wise to add HEIC now, ask me once V4 gets out.

One of the sites using chevereto do both HEIC and PDF. And it should be custom coded by them. They just allow customers to upload, both and show them in available formats which the browser can support.

People using image host to share their images and they need some platform to upload , HEIC or PDF and share it with their friends and family in any format.

Now we have no reason to say No to HEIC when it can be shown.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdn
Go ask imgbb to provide that back to the project.

I just said that because in the earlier post you have mentioned no browser support those format till date. So I gave the example of a site that does in a different way.

Obviously, no one wants to give their own custom work if that makes them look different from the competition.

Maybe instead of upvotes in RFC we should have donate button over there and so those voting via donation will help the author to put more efforts into the time spent on that.

500USD for an RFC can be easily achieved via crowdfunding, if it is for a new image extension, there will be tons of people will do.

There is no info. You said "one of the sites using chevereto..", i'd like to see that site you reference to.
He refers to these guys

1623768502552.png

He's asking us to re-do their steps to stole their additions. By the way I just tested and HEIC upload doesn't work, neither provides image preview. Same for PDF, which at least gets uploaded but converted to JPG.

He refers to these guys

View attachment 4121

He's asking us to re-do their steps to stole their additions.

Well, I never asked to do, I just said it is possible to do as you posted in your thread that doing is not useful since none of the browser use that format. Where you forgot the idea that you can still display in another format (you edited your old post which missed this point).

And also redoing someone work is not stealing, then most of the work in the script are stolen if you call it like that.

I can see your old post is edited now.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdn
I just said it is possible to do as you posted in your thread that doing is not useful since none of the browser use that format.
1623768996338.png

Is not the same to support HEIC, to support uploading and convert the result to another format. When I got asked about HEIC it was for real support, not for converting uploads to another format. HEIC is not supported by any browser.

View attachment 4124

Is not the same to support HEIC, to support uploading and convert the result to another format. When I got asked about HEIC it was for real support, not for converting uploads to another format. HEIC is not supported by any browser.

I understand that, but the OP requirement is not to display in HEIC format. As many phones are storing images in HEIC format, and they have no way to upload their images and share them with someone. So they need some website to do. Why would people care what format they see and all they needs is a photo to see.

It is up to you whether you do or not, as you are the author.

I never meant stole as take what their did, I don't have such power. I meant as "good artists copy..."

I understand that, but the OP requirement is not to display in HEIC format.
OP said:
This format not only has better picture quality, but most importantly, it takes up less space, which is a good thing for server storage costs.
I don't think that he was expecting to store non-HEIC files. We should wait him to say a word about it.

As many phones are storing images in HEIC format, and they have no way to upload their images and share them with someone. So they need some website to do. Why would people care what format they see and all they needs is a photo to see.
To support HEIC > Webp (or whatever) is way more feasible than having real support for HEIC.

It is up to you whether you do or not, as you are the author.
Perhaps nobody needs HEIC support but just conversion? How I will be able to tell if two different users ask me different things or don't visualize the whole context of the request?

To carify, native HEIC support is restricted because of the web based user interface. Conversion to other formats can be made, I don't know if that is an ideal situation for this RFC.

OP said:

I don't think that he was expecting to store non-HEIC files. We should wait him to say a word about it.

To support HEIC > Webp (or whatever) is way more feasible than having real support for HEIC.

Perhaps nobody needs HEIC support but just conversion? How I will be able to tell if two different users ask me different things or don't visualize the whole context of the request?

To carify, native HEIC support is restricted because of the web based user interface. Conversion to other formats can be made, I don't know if that is an ideal situation for this RFC.

Yes, converting to another format is the ideal solution for now until the browser added native support. As there is less website which supports HEIC (conversion) and chevereto will be on top of that with an added feature.

I do have an option in my Magento store to show webp images for all my catalogues for the browser which supports webp and for the browser which doesn't support webp, it will show other formats.

We can do that till the browser brings in the HEIC format.

Back