• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.
  • Chevereto Support CLST

Support response

Support checklist

Problems after upgrading to v3.17

dr_brown

Chevereto Member
I receive a message:
Composer detected issues in your platform: Your Composer dependencies require a PHP version ">= 7.3.0". You are running 7.2.8.
Maximum available php version 7.2.8 on the current VPS, can't you fix it?

New software requires new software, you can't run it with a lower PHP version.

I receive a message:

Maximum available php version 7.2.8 on the current VPS, can't you fix it?

You can install third party repositories to get newer php versions.

Direct Admin and cPanel also have options to select the PHP version in the panel if you look around.

Unfortunately, I have an ISP manager, debian-8 which supports PHP 7.2.8 maximum, I'll have to take a server on Ubuntu 16 + isp as the hoster wrote, it supports PHP 7.4. Installing a version on debian-8 whose repositories are no longer supported will be problematic.

Unfortunately

Sadly for you, your problems will get a low worse as within two days php.net will drop support for 7.2. Also, Ubuntu 16? Canonical will drop support on April next year.

Sooner or later (hope sooner) you will realize that new software updates won't play well with outdated software libraries. There's a cost in never updating your server dependencies, a cost that you must cover becase at Chevereto I don't charge for yearly renewals precisely to avoid supporting the entire old version matrix (php, mysql, chevereto itself, etc).

Oh great, you kill my site. Same problem
Composer detected issues in your platform: Your Composer dependencies require a PHP version ">= 7.3.0". You are running 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.7.

RLY nice to break compatiblity wihtout any notification in the NEWS !!!!!!!!! ... omg rly

When you drop support for PHP versions then anounce this in the NEWs or give us a warning before we update!

Why is the version not checked here before. My page is broken now, super. It's a lot of fun to rebuild your whole site in the evening.

Reactions: rdn
When you drop support for PHP versions then anounce this in the NEWs or give us a warning before we update!

Why is the version not checked here before. My page is broken now, super. It's a lot of fun to rebuild your whole site in the evening.

PHP 7.2 has been deprecated. Support ended in November of 2019 and security support ended on the 30th of November 2020.

Rather then blame Rodolfo you should blame yourself for using a insecure PHP version that is no longer supported on any platform.

However, even if this is true, he is not wrong that the prerequisite checks should be checked before proceeding with the update so as not to be knocked out without having been warned...

Are you a systems engineer too, in a production context, not a startup or a university lab? I'm not in the case (regarding the old PHP version) but maybe a day you should ask yourself why there is still old mainframe systems in the workd and why almost every bank continue to maintain systems from another age, that's because contrary to what you seem to believe that's not always as simple as you think (but probably for blackjack it is).

Anyway, a software provider has every right not to maintain an old version but the least thing would be to post a warning that allows not to continue if the prerequisites are not respected.

Are you a systems engineer too, in a production context, not a startup or a university lab? I'm not in the case (regarding the old PHP version) but maybe a day you should ask yourself why there is still old mainframe systems in the workd and why almost every bank continue to maintain systems from another age, that's because contrary to what you seem to believe that's not always as simple as you think (but probably for blackjack it is).

Anyway, a software provider has every right not to maintain an old version but the least thing would be to post a warning that allows not to continue if the prerequisites are not respected.

Those banks and ancient systems also do not upgrade their software to the latest version. They keep everything "as-is" unless there is a security update. And even with a security update some choose to not upgrade at all because of the cost and time involved.

If you want to upgrade then you must take into account that the software requirements will change. That's also why you don't upgrade a production environment and use a test environment to make sure everything works as intended.

The changes in this was triggered due composer, as it detected that some dependency required a newer PHP version as my buildup assumes that you are using compliant versions. When I build the release I simply run "composer update", so all the auto-loading assumes a machine closest as mine and for 3.17 I used PHP 7.4.

You could still run the software with an older PHP version, but you will need to add --ignore-platform-reqs to the composer update command. Alternatively, you could simply replace the files with the previous release. The database changes aren't that massive, it should work.

In any case, bottom line here is that I need a better way to deprecate PHP versions but please note that I will keep dropping support for older PHP releases. I don't have the resources to offer you LTS releases on top of each PHP version.

Back