• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• šŸ˜Œ This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • šŸ‘‰ Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • šŸ’ø Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Postimage and 1.8 petabytes of outgoing traffic

Rodolfo

ā­ Chevereto Godlike
Chevereto Staff
Administrator
Today I noticed that Postimage is about to die due to the insane traffic that they have.

On October 27, 2016, CloudFlare abruptly cut us off from most of their services except DNS for abusing their system. This came as a bit of a surprise, since although we've been using one of their cheapest plans for a long time, we had reached an agreement earlier this month that we would be upgrading our account when the next billing cycle started.

More here: http://postimage.org/

CloudFlare is charging Postimage $12,000 to handle that traffic and they are looking for a CDN provider that can sustain that traffic for free ā€”I think that is very hard to get 1.8PB for freeā€” otherwise they are done.

This is nothing new for us. Some have used CloudFlare for a while just to notice that the pricing increased a lot or they just kick you out of the service after a while.

I believe that Chevereto has enough stuff that can help you to leverage or distribute your outgoing traffic by using the combination of the external storage APIs of your choice ā€”for me SFTP is the cheapest thingā€” plus a different CDN on top of each one. But when it comes to 2PB it will cost big money regardless the setup, is too much traffic.

For those using CloudFlare... How much traffic does it handle without charging a fortune or giving you issues?

I think PRO account limit is around 250-350 GB bandwidth/month with cloudflare. If they are doing 1.8PB then they would have not problem paying 12k :)

I think PRO account limit is around 250-350 GB bandwidth/month with cloudflare.

I don't think it is anywhere close to 250-350GB. Maybe close to 50TB+ for Pro Account.

If they are doing 1.8PB then they would have not problem paying 12k :)

They definitely are not serving 100% of those 1.8PB bandwidth through their page. Maybe majority of them are hotlinked images. That's why they are dying. We should learn something from their state. Manage your bandwidth wisely if you really want to grow big.

Maybe 100-200GB/day doesn't feel much at the beginning but it can go out of hands pretty quickly.

I see why Cloudflare just cut them off, very cheap of them to only pay for the $20/month plan. They must be making a few thousand monthly.

There are tons of providers who offers 100 TB/month for $150. And with more servers you can get even better prices.

I don't think that they are making that much, otherwise why all the drama?

Back