• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Photobucket disaster and recovering the images to a Chevereto website

Dan1

Chevereto Member
With the recent Photobucket disaster my forum is a wreck. I decided to offer our own image hosting to our forum members. My question is can images be uploaded to chevereto so that they have the same name/direct link as they did on Photobucket? Then all instances of the the photobucket domain in the forum can be replaced in the forum database with the cheverto url.

For example:
Currently the direct link to an image stored on photobucket looks like this:
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/user-name/category-name/image-as-named-on-photobucket.jpg
I want to replace in the database this part which will be the same for all photobucket images in our forum:
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/user-name/category-name/
with the Cheverto url which will be:
http://mychevertodomain.com/
The trick will be to make sure the direct link to the image on chevereto is http://mycheveretodomain.com/imag-as-named-on-photobucket.jpg

Is this possible?

BTW I think you will see an increase in sales because of the photobucket situation.

Last edited:
Chevereto image URL structure is one of the following (depends on your settings):

Code:
<protocol>://<hostname>/<image path>/<datefolder>/<filename>.<extension>
<protocol>://<hostname>/<image path>/<filename>.<extension>

E.g.
https://demo.chevereto.com/images/2017/07/04/file.jpg
https://demo.chevereto.com/images/file.jpg

So you are missing albums/s170/user-name/category-name. Unfortunately Chevereto doesn't store images using the same structure, but you can hack your server to rewrite those URLs. Something like this (Apache):

Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule /albums/.*/.*/.*/(.*)$ /images/$1 [R=301,NC,L]

(not entirely sure if that's the right code)

This needs that you use "original" as filenaming and that all those images get loaded directly (no-datefolder structure). If you are lucky, the images won't have same names and you can do that wildcard rewrite.

BTW I think you will see an increase in sales because of the photobucket situation.
Yes, I'm seeing it already.

By the way, you will like to know that I'm working hard to add a FTP image importer so all newcomers will be able to drop their backups in a folder and Chevereto will do the rest.

Cheers,
Rodolfo.

Thanks Rodolfo.

I want to report that it worked for me, I was able to restore all pics posted by me going back almost 10 years in just a few hours. I offer this information to help anyone in the same situation.
Step 1. Use Chrome browser. Install the chrome extension Download Photobucket Album. This will allow you to quickly download complete photobucket albums, otherwise impossible. Here's the link to it https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...mpbbfglflhdhbmimlcacoojpkeopelc/reviews?hl=en
Step 2. Use a Mass File Rename program to rename images with "%20" (sometimes photobucket adds this to file names) and substitute it with "-".
Step 3. Upload images to Chevereto with Original/no date folder file naming.
Step 4. Run SQL query in the forum database (in the case of vbulletin it's the mst_post table) to replace all instances of "%20" with "-".
Step 5. Run SQL query in the forum database to replace all instances of the photobucket URL section with your new cheverto domain.

A big Fuck You to photobucket and big props to Chevereto.

Last edited:
I posted back because I'm happy with Chevereto and I know this thread should be good for cheverto SEO wise. There are many forum administrators now scrambling for solutions to the photobucket problem, and until today I haven't seen any information addressing it specifically. I'm pretty sure you'll get some business from it.

As you probably know vbulletin is a very popular forum software. I'm currently using an addon in my vbulletin forum that allows uploads of images to an image hosting site directly from the post editor. I implemented it to increase image posting participation from mobile users. My original idea was to create an image hosting site that compliments my forum subject matter, and implement a similar addon. I'm sure that if you create such a plugin you will have the market cornered with cheverto. Here's the information on the plugin, let me know if it's something you can do. Even as a private job for me.

The thread on vbulletin.org pertaining to the plugin https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=298019
The images are uploaded to postimage.org
To implement in the forum all you do is add this script to the top of the forum header
Code:
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://mod.postimage.org/vbulletin-hotlink.js"> </script>
It calls a js file. You can download it to see how they do it.
If you want to test how it works let me know and I'll provide you login credentials to my forum. Here's a screenshot of what the plugin looks like in the editor.

direct-upload-plugin.jpg

Last edited:
Integration to forum softwares, for direct uploads would be a huge hit with my users, especially if it can link to their user accounts. I love the future of Chevereto and am excited for the future of the API.

That's awesome. There are so many forums that are in real need of this feature. If you advertise it on vbulletin.org I'm sure you'll do well.

When is the next release?

Will it be version 3 or 4?

I'm happy to buy a license if I don't have to pay again when this feature is added.

Last edited:
Will it be version 3 or 4?
Version 4 is not even under development and after 3.9.X comes 3.10.X, 3.12.X etc. I believe that the confusion is that most may think that V4 is imminent only because current version is 3.9.X and the logic says that next number should be 4.0.0. That's not the case at all.

V4 isn't remotely on sight, development or anything so don't worry about stuff that won't exists until several months, maybe years.

I'm happy to buy a license if I don't have to pay again when this feature is added.

This feature will be added to V3 series.

Cheers,
Rodolfo.

This feature will be added to V3 series.
That's awesome. It's the use of a postimage SMF plugin that led me to find chevereto in the first place. I would love to be able to duplicate this function on my forum with my own chevereto site.

ETA: Well with the sale you are running plus planned forum plugins I'm sold. Just purchased my core license. :)

Last edited:
Thing is that the implementation that postimg did is very awkward and you need to use a different JS depending on the target forum software. I believe that such implementation is rubbish and it should be just one single JS with custom options via HTML attributes (like Facebook comments and whatnot).

My goal is to create a universal plugin so you can use it in any website and your job will be at most to load a JS file and customize some link attributes. If I can achieve that we won't need custom plugins for each forum at all.

Well I hope you can accomplish that as it would add value to your product. I'm still surprised you offer chevereto at the price point you do, it's a fantastic value.

Rodolfo, please make the direct upload plugin asap, at least for vBulletin and xenforo. Even if for the time being you do it the same way as postimage.org. I get the feeling that trying to make it compatible with too many forum software will push the feature too far into the future. Vbulletin and xenforo administrators are the ones who are ready to fork out the cash for a forum software, and are more likely to do the same for an image hosting solution.

The other feature I really want to see is automatic account creation in a Cheverto site when someone registers in the forum. But the direct upload plugin is way more important.

Hi, Yes I'm here from the Photobucket "Cash Grab" too. :mad:

Direct upload would be a huge boost for my site too!
Great news on the 10 Year price offer!

NB: What are the disk space & Tragic limitations with the Network license + Hosting bundle?

NB: What are the disk space & Tragic limitations with the Network license + Hosting bundle?
Chevereto doesn't limit anything.

Limitations are on the hosting side and while most hosters (included TMDHosting) offer unlimited transfer/storage, it doesn't mean that you can run a huge website with their cheapest plan. This is because there are other limits that affect your website performance (like CPU, concurrent requests, total connections, etc). Personal/small websites will run without issues on cheapest plan but a large website will need something bigger like a VPS and beyond. Think about it as a car vs a bus, Chevereto can be both it just depends on the machine you install it.

No, is totally the opposite. My idea is to get it ready within one month.
Made an account just to say how happy I am.

Certainly xenforo will be the first one to get it
More the reason to love you

Just one thing. Will it be possible to only allow forum members to have an account and upload images and that too remain private unless they share it themselves?

Back