• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

New container-based system provisioning for Chevereto

Rodolfo

⭐ Chevereto Godlike
Chevereto Staff
Administrator
Dear all,

With Chevereto V3.20 container-based provisioning is now possible with Chevereto, enabling you to ease use container-based technologies to run Chevereto with less hassle. To make this possible not only I had to create these system images, I also had to dramatically change how the Chevereto application works.

It took a while but finally we have top-tier containers!

Who can use containers?​

Anybody can run containers and as I know that most of you came from non-Docker age, I made two approaches for all type of users. We have a bootrapped container (you map a local folder where Chevereto is installed) and a instructions to operate container registry (you can use GitHub infra to freely create private container images). This will allow you to migrate to Docker more easily? perhaps just use it as a system reference?.

Container application scope is huge, and it easily allows to run multiple systems on the same machine without any library conflicts, at all. If you are into running Chevereto among other applications or if you need to just ease your daily life then you won't look back.

Even if you keep doing root install, containers can give you a disposable test environment that spawn in seconds, not hours.

Addressing Technical debt​

I get that most of Chevereto users may be OK running the software under many different servicing layers (namely not containers, some web based panel, cloud-init, etc). That will be always an option, but to keep distributing the software that way for most of its users causes too much trouble.

Problem with that is that such provisions aren't standard and when you provide a sub-standard provisioning is very likely that Chevereto will give you some trouble at some point, specially with new updates. The problem now is that folks at other projects are configuring on their own how to provide the PHP servicing needed for Chevereto without any base from us.

The key here is that we now explicit declare our required system layer, regardless if you use Docker or not, that's what I'm using to define library versions and whatnot.

How to use it?!​

First, get Docker installed in your desktop.
  • Windows users may need to follow the WSL2(Windows Subsystem Linux) instructions
  • Use Ubuntu 20.04 as your Linux
  • Make sure that Ubuntu 20.04 integration is configured in Docker desktop
Read the docs:

If you have issues you can ask for Tech Support or in the respective GitHub repositories. Keep in mind that this is really new stuff, your feedback and use case is extremely relevant.

Give it a try and tell me how it goes!

Back