• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • πŸ‘‰ Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • πŸ’Έ Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.
  • Chevereto Support CLST

Support response

Support checklist

• βœ… Confirm that the server meets the System Requirements
    • πŸ”₯ Check for any available Hotfix - your issue could be already reported/fixed
    • πŸ“š Read documentation - It will be required to Debug and understand Errors for a faster support response

Need advise on moving database to cloud

mkerala

πŸ‘½ Chevereto Freak
My site just crossed 1M images and it is getting slowed down. The site runs on a HDD based server and I can't fully move it to SSD based one due to cost and enormous amount of storage required. To improve the performance I was thinking to move the database to cloud and stumble upon Online.net database hosting service.

https://www.online.net/en/ods

My server is on OVH france, so does the latency delay over the internet going to spoil the performance advantages of cloud SSD database? Also is it better to buy a cheap SSD server and build own database server than going for the above?

It is always better to keep your web server + database separate from storage. I had a big website with 400K images which I sold earlier this year.

I was facing the same issue that you're looking into. You can either choose to have a single master database server and multiple webservers if it is your bottleneck.

If you can't do multiple web servers, consider spinning an SSD server with database and web server on it. and use external HDD storage. I used Linode unmanaged VPS, which allowed me to upgrade or downgrade anytime I wanted. They also provide load balancing. It is much cheaper and has no latency to the database. Just keep in mind that these SSD servers are closer to your storage server.

It is always better to keep your web server + database separate from storage. I had a big website with 400K images which I sold earlier this year.

I was facing the same issue that you're looking into. You can either choose to have a single master database server and multiple webservers if it is your bottleneck.

If you can't do multiple web servers, consider spinning an SSD server with database and web server on it. and use external HDD storage. I used Linode unmanaged VPS, which allowed me to upgrade or downgrade anytime I wanted. They also provide load balancing. It is much cheaper and has no latency to the database. Just keep in mind that these SSD servers are closer to your storage server.

How far was your database server and webserver? I can split them up to webserver, database server and storage. But was not sure if there is a latency issue if I keep DB server too far.

If you will move them to Linode, you can setup it up with private internal IP address with zero latency on database and web server.
Or, you can just use single VPS for both of them. It doesn't make much of a difference if you're using SSD. In fact, it can be much faster than split setup sometimes.

Use vanilla nginx + php7.0 + mariaDB + redis server.

and everything will work perfectly with minimal load.

Turns out this was a bad idea. The 512MB RAM was not enough for my server and it restart on hitting the limit. Also I started getting slow queries which I never had when running it on my server. The QPS wasn't that great at 25-45 range and the service was also running out of memory and getting high slow queries. So I decided to re-configure the server from scratch by splitting all services across 3 virtual server.

1. Nginx webserver with php
2. MariDB database server
3. File storage server with Nginx

The QPS has not much to do with DB performance. Its just average of queries processed in last hour or so. The DB server is now running smooth and it can process any request thrown at it. Also the server is running a traditional hard disk and I don't find any performance issues. Since DB engine depend more on RAM my server is fast enough.

I don't want to be that person.
But I would have to say, I told you so.
You could just split it in the first place as I said. I have fiddled with various services and it is the best way to scale chevereto.

Only thing that can give you an edge is as much bandwidth as you can aquire as you grow. That will only be the problem. Everything else comes cheaper with split configuration.
Finding a good reasonable storage is tough.

I don't want to be that person.
But I would have to say, I told you so.
You could just split it in the first place as I said. I have fiddled with various services and it is the best way to scale chevereto.

Only thing that can give you an edge is as much bandwidth as you can aquire as you grow. That will only be the problem. Everything else comes cheaper with split configuration.
Finding a good reasonable storage is tough.
I know, just I want to experience these services first hand. What they say on their site seems to be very promising than reality.

Soyoustart servers are cheap and they are now running 30% as Xmas rebate. They also give 250Mbps bandwidth which would be more than enough for me. Also I use awstat to find images using more than 100GB hotlink bandwidth a day and kill it. For storage I have enabled auto expire for guest images after one year.

I am currently using 3 different storage servers.
Time4vps is cheapest but limited bandwidth. However, it does have a Xeon processor.
Soyoustart has great storage server range at a reasonable price with unmetered bandwidth @250Mbps.
and OVH and Online.net falls in same category, but OVH has better edge. You may say OVH is the best overall with 250Mbps bandwidth with allowed burst of 1Gbps.

I usually use Time4vps or vultr storage VPS for small or emerging project and move the files up the stairs over time. :)

Why you did'nt upgrade? I use the OVH CloudDB (1GB RAM) without any problems.

I was also getting significant slow queries even when below 512MB usage. One time it got stuck at restarting for almost 30mins and no way to reach support or get the database to another server. Besides their support is just horrible. I get reply like once a week. Half of the feature including statics don't work on dashboard.

I was also getting significant slow queries even when below 512MB usage. One time it got stuck at restarting for almost 30mins and no way to reach support or get the database to another server. Besides their support is just horrible. I get reply like once a week. Half of the feature including statics don't work on dashboard.

Hmmm ... I'm a customer of OVH since a few years. Yes, support is slowly ... sometimes I need also wait 2 or 3 hours for an answer - but all problems could be solved. And most problems are happens because I did something wrong on my end.

I use dedicated servers, vps, cloud servers, cloud db, cloud storage and a lot of ip address failovers ... everything works fine for me. Uptime in December just 99,91% - but I had to do some server reboots in case of kernel updates. So, for me it's ok.

Hmmm ... I'm a customer of OVH since a few years. Yes, support is slowly ... sometimes I need also wait 2 or 3 hours for an answer - but all problems could be solved. And most problems are happens because I did something wrong on my end.

I use dedicated servers, vps, cloud servers, cloud db, cloud storage and a lot of ip address failovers ... everything works fine for me. Uptime in December just 99,91% - but I had to do some server reboots in case of kernel updates. So, for me it's ok.

Their support is awful. I had to wait 5 days and had to sent 3 messages on twitter to get my first reply on database import issue. I even sent the database to them and they could figure what was the issue even after 2 weeks of buying cloud db service. Finally i found the porblem on my own and used the cloud db service for like a week.

I am a Soyoustart customer for last 2-3 years and just love their hardware and price they offer is unbeatable. There network is the best in world. Since its just a baremetal server I don't have to deal with their support. But if there is a hardware issue I get a new server and discard the old one rather than going to there support.

Yeah I know, Soyoustart, Kimsufi all are OVH. Just their support is awful. I won't buy anything that's going to be managed by their support. Just there hardware and network is good.

i have too some issues, i had started my site as fun, and was nulled version(to be frank.) but i was not aware that i will get much image uploads.
now my internal storage is 50GB and i dont understand what to do.
i want to put my image folder aside from main files and and DB without effecting OLD URL and image access.
is it possible?
i am using SYS 2TB Server.

and i am sure SYS(OVH) is best and if you fell delay in TIcket Reply, You Can call them via skype and get your job done at earliest possible time.

i have too some issues, i had started my site as fun, and was nulled version(to be frank.) but i was not aware that i will get much image uploads.
now my internal storage is 50GB and i dont understand what to do.
i want to put my image folder aside from main files and and DB without effecting OLD URL and image access.
is it possible?
i am using SYS 2TB Server.

and i am sure SYS(OVH) is best and if you fell delay in TIcket Reply, You Can call them via skype and get your job done at earliest possible time.
I was also late to move to external storage. I got 2.7TB of images stored local. SYS servers don't break down that often so I don't have to deal much with their support apart from billing issues which can wait. This year for Black Friday and Xmas they gave 30% off and I bought two servers for whole year.

I was also late to move to external storage. I got 2.7TB of images stored local. SYS servers don't break down that often so I don't have to deal much with their support apart from billing issues which can wait. This year for Black Friday and Xmas they gave 30% off and I bought two servers for whole year.
i am looking for some solution to move Image to external and put my Site on SSD Server for faster performance.
i wish i can get some way :D
i dont get much revenew from ads but its my passion to keep them running :D

@Rodolfo must have some solution for it. he is best one with our script :D

i am looking for some solution to move Image to external and put my Site on SSD Server for faster performance.
i wish i can get some way :D
i dont get much revenew from ads but its my passion to keep them running :D

@Rodolfo must have some solution for it. he is best one with our script :D

I am planing to force expire all old images via sql query. Thats leave me with some user iamges which I can run another query to point to a external storage.

http://chevereto.com/community/threads/force-expire-old-guest-image-uploads.9465/#post-51781

To be frank you can get SSD like performance with some server optimization and CDN.

Back