• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

How to quickly update image titles across a whole collection/album

newmikey

Chevereto Member
So, this may not be news to most of you but I found a way to quickly prepare new descriptions for my mages offline and then have a spreadsheet concatenate SQL queries that you can run on your server (f.i. in phpMyAdmin) to bulk update your image titles in a hurry.

So what happened is that I migrated from Flickr and all of my images had ridiculous titles which didn't make any sense. Clicking every image in a Chevereto album, then clicking [Edit], changing the description and then saving the edit becomes tedious after a minute or two.

I downloaded the images table from my chevereto database and chopped off everything except for the image_id and image_title column (columns A and B in the sheet). I then added a column where I typed in a sensible description (column C) and a fourth column (D) containing the formula:
Code:
="UPDATE chlv_images SET image_title = '" & C3 & "' WHERE image_id = " & A3 & ";"

Copying the formula down for forty, 60 or more rows followed by simply typing in descriptions which matched my images resulted in something like this (I'm only showing a few rows out of more than 80).

1602264253225.png

Finally, I copied column D in its entirety into the query window in phpMyAdmin so it read:

1602264448399.png

And I ran the query (after simulating it first to ensure I had no SQL syntax errors). Instantly, my whole album view updated with the new titles on every single image after a page refresh and the new titles also show up when sharing via social networks or BBCode.

Probably trivial to most here but I thought it would be useful.

Disclaimer: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE backup your database (or at least this table) before trying this out and ALWAYS run a query simulation before the "real thing"! I do not take responsibility for anyone messing up their whole site because of this!

Hey @newmikey thank you for sharing your knowledge.

I'm sure it will help others.
This is great use of direct SQL queries.

@Rodolfo Is there a way something like this could be implemented into the next gen software? Allow users to edit the descriptions on photos en-mass as opposed to each individual image entry?

My users will be uploading potentially hundreds of photos at a time. Allowing them to bulk edit the descriptions should result in a more organized DB in the end. I would prefer not to have to download the tables every time and certainly would be apprehensive to provide general users with that access.

Thank you for the consideration.

@Rodolfo Is there a way something like this could be implemented into the next gen software? Allow users to edit the descriptions on photos en-mass as opposed to each individual image entry?
The API will allow all kind of actions so it will be possible, but I don't know how the interface implementation will be. Ideally I want users to provide many different user interfaces, including different admin panels that can be run stand-alone the default one.

That flexibility should encourage front-end developers to craft any kind of bulk experiences based on the same API.

Back