• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Homepage cover slideshow, mobile data usage hog?

mattburris

Chevereto Member
Hey all, I'm new here. I did some Googling around but couldn't find anything on this specific subject. If I were to use a lot of cover images for the homepage slideshow, would this incur a large amount of data usage? If so, this could be disconcerting for those visiting the site via a mobile device on a limited data plan. Even if I've optimized the images to ~500kB each, if there's 20 of them that's 10MB of data being downloaded if the visitor sits on the homepage and loads all of them up.

If that's true, I suppose only having a few images would be ideal if you expect a lot of mobile visitors?

1. Start by using covers <300KB. Half a megabyte is too much for a cover image.
2. Browsers cache everything and mobile browser cache is even more aggressive. Images will be cached once and from there you won't notice extra data usage.

Ah, good point, I forgot about the caching ability, and didn't know that mobile caches even more aggressively. I'll see about getting the images down to 300KB or less. Thanks!

Try doing the images as .png and using tinypng dot com to shrink them. I've had images go from like 300Kb to 30Kb with no noticable quality loss. YMMV

kraken.io also compress your images, just in case you want to try alternatives.

In any case, we should limit how many images will get displayed as cover when the system detects a mobile device. Just in case someone puts too many images in that section.

Back