• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Hi, new Chevereto user

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidlevy

Chevereto Member
Hi,
I'm new to Chevereto but after researching all options I felt Chevereto was the best solution for my community image sharing website.
I'm a Star Citizen fan, and friends with a lot of other big fans.. some of us take great screenshots and I do cosplay and manage a cosplay discord channel.
SO... we thought.. why not do our own website. Cuz flicker now sucks. And imgur has too low of an uploading size limit.
We're working on the site now and things are going great.
Will share when we're ready to make it public.

I'm building the website with Hasgaha's feedback and help :D
Also with RiceMaiden too.
Yea this newest build is really great, 3.4.x, still buggy ofc but it's only gonna get better.
Did you get the fleet you want this anniversary sale? there's a few days left.

Nah, I have my Rear Admiral Pack and Orion (both LTI) - sold ships for 1.5k last year. I'm done spending! How about you?? Did you get some?

yea I'm a few K away from Legatus now.
The physical rear admiral is a gem! glad you got one!
Both of mine I ccu'd to a carrack and a 600i touring before the price jump on the carrack.
Applied a bunch of $0 CCUs to my completionist pack to take advantage of the price jumps this sale.
Anniversary sale is the best time to use your old $0 CCUs, I had a bunch from 2016.

P.S. dunno why I put 3.4.x in my above post lol can't edit it. yea current is 3.3.6

Sick, I never got into the CCU stuff, but I've seen people get great deals with knowing how to run the "system". I saw the version error, lol.. Figured you just did a typo so I didn't care to mention it ;)

This is really unethical I shared why I bought a license for Chevereto in trust that your staff would act with integrity.
To see one of your staff members to take the project I was working on and do it yourself and release to Reddit without any communication with me about it... and without any respect for the fact I'm a paying client or ethical behavior as just a decent human being. You took advantage of this situation in a gross abuse of trust. @Rodolfo this isn't right that your staff member would do this to a paying client. I trusted your company.

And I see you added the website, which you registered 12/12/2018 (today), and a disclaimer on your forum signature. Do you believe that somehow this dissolves you of any moral responsibility? Your account showed Staff member, and this website wasn't in your signature until today.

My idea originated from compression issues two days ago, not this. Sorry you feel that way, but I'd never steal your original idea. You should go on and lunch your project, I'm sure you will suceed.

My idea originated from compression issues two days ago, not this. Sorry you feel that way, but I'd never steal your original idea. You should go on and lunch your project, I'm sure you will suceed.

Yes, you did Tom. If I didn't say anything and released the website now... which was the REASON I bought a Chevereto license and explained above in this thread weeks ago which you responded to... people would think we stole the project. A decent thing to do would have been to talk with me and work out a way to release both websites at the same time or to be able to co-exist. Or even just collab with us. But instead, you did this.

You've been with Chevereto for years.. and only just NOW thought about using it for Star Citizen?

In all probability, I find it very unlikely if I never made this thread, that you would have ever used Chevereto to make a website for the SC screenshot community because you haven't for years. There have always been compression issues on every major platform except Flickr.. and because Flickr announced limitations on free accounts a couple months back, the need arose. Yet... you "came up" with this idea last night?

If I was you, I would have contacted me (the client) and said, "hey, I know Chevereto really well, do you want help or to collab?" Or "hey what exactly is your website gonna be like? I may see if I can fit a need that's not met and maybe we can release at the same time for two different purposes?"

But no, you didn't do that Tom.

I need more time than 5 minutes to edit a post.. so I have to make a 2nd post to what I wanted to add to the first.
0edXBXc.png

And how can you forget about literally the most well know screenshoot maker in the entire SC community when "coming up" with your idea? He's the FIRST person I thought of and contacted. Or even this thread for that matter? I don't see any other conversations about Star Citizen on this forum recently... running into a fellow backer in a strange place is not something an avid backer from 2013 would easily forget about. I didn't obviously.

Bottom line, as a Staff member of Chevereto, you shouldn't have done this to a client. Look how few introduction threads there are, it's not like you have hundreds of people here introducing themselves and why they bought Chevereto.

I understand your frustration, and If I were you I would think the same. But to be honest, you don't know me and I don't know you. But you have already concluded - and yes - I would have contacted you if I was even thinking about taking your idea to production, but I didn't - because as I said before, I didn't think about this thread, when my idea originated from the compression issues.

I'm not that guy, really. If I'd read your idea and wanted to do something similar with that in mind I would never just rip it off in bad faith. Truly, this site was set up in good faith - and if you don't believe me, it's just sad because I don't know how I can prove that to you otherwise. And just to be clear, I'm not a developer of chevereto, I'm a "probono" moderator at this site and in discord

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out with your site, really. But I won't shut starimagezen down.

It doesn't matter if you are paid mod or not, you are in a position of authority and thereby a representative of Chevereto on this forum.
Your forum badge also says staff member. A reasonable person would see you as such.

The community doesn't seem to agree with you Tom.
If you had more respect for the community, I don't think you would have responded like this.

It's too bad, I would have gladly referred backers to your website for another option if you only showed me and the others in this community respect.
By talking with me first and the related community leaders first and working out a solution.
Why do you think I contacted Hasgaha FIRST before moving forward with this project?
I respect the community leaders in each area, I communicate and work with them.
Because that's the right thing to do.

The way you put this out makes your story the "truth", I was sleeping so I couldn't even reply back to you in time, so congratulations on that, you won't even listen to what I'm saying. English is not my first language so if you think I'm disrespecting you guys you are locked in one direction and nothing I say or do will ever make you think otherwise.

I wish you the best and if I see anyone saying you guys "stole" an idea, I'll make it clear that you didn't.

"if I see anyone saying you guys "stole" an idea, I'll make it clear that you didn't."

I would be okay with that.

This unable to edit after 5 minutes is.. agh..
what I want to add is:
You know, if Rodolfo gives you free client updates for your contributions, that would not make you pro bono.
Again, the big issue here was simply because it really looks like the client-developer relationship was abused for personal reasons.

This unable to edit after 5 minutes is.. agh..
what I want to add is:
You know, if Rodolfo gives you free client updates for your contributions, that would not make you pro bono.
Again, the big issue here was simply because it really looks like the client-developer relationship was abused for personal reasons.

I don't receive anything for free here I'm a paying customer as everyone else. And I'm being 100% straight with you in everything I have said. I don't earn money or get anything from this site, or any of my sites, they are all free of use and non-profit. I know how it looks like, and if I knew that yesterday we would've had a conversation about it before all of this.

So again, I'm all in for supporting you guys and correcting any misunderstanding here. I feel like shit after the reddit storm as I was acting in good faith.

Edit:

Another thing is, if I my intension was to rip you off I would never do it under my name and post it here and on reddit. Thats just stupid

Last edited:
Hi @davidlevy, sorry to hear that you are having this situation.

First of all let me address that @tomsit is part of the Community Staff, not the "company" staff. These are different concepts and he as any other "staff member" helps on good will. There's no boss-employe relationship here and he neither gets any money made by anything Chevereto related. At most, he gets money from showing ads in his websites and/or selling the websites that he builds (totally on his own).

After reading the reddit, some people is saying that the company is taking advantage of your idea which is just not the case.

Some samples:
Tomsit is a site developer that has apparently just stolen an idea from one of his own paying clients.
"from one of his paying clients"
buy their product, and then turned around and took your idea and marketed it as their own?
"marketed it as their own"
Ripped off the concept from a friend who actually purchased the software from OP.
"purchased the software from OP"

Just to be clear, comments of that kind are just wrong. Just like the comments in this topic: https://testsquadron.com/threads/so...t-sharing-website-from-a-paying-client.14846/

Software Developer of Chevereto steals SC screenshot sharing website from a paying client
Software Developer of Chevereto = Me. You are accusing me when you use these words.
Tomsit is also the owner of their discord channel to my dismay...
He's a mod on Discord, I "own" the channel.

Again, all wrong. @tomsit is part of the Community staff. I will fix that label to display "Community Staff" to avoid this kind of confusion in the future.

Being honest, I don't know what @tomsit stole from you besides from the idea of building a website around Star Citizen. You only described your intention, you didn't share how is going to look like or anything solid to accuse @tomsit of stealing your work. At most, he took the idea and from there he built his own version of it. You can't expect to own the right of being the only person in the world able to run a niche-based website just because you have spent the last months telling people about that.

For what I can tell, you have a strong position in the Star Citizen community so you should not trouble yourself with this thing at all. The SC community should prefer your work just because you are behind the wheel, just like people prefer a solid brand instead of a generic brand.

You, and your personality is something that could never be stolen and that unique value is what makes your website unique.

I think that you both have the right to run a SC based Chevereto website and I believe that having two websites for such great game is only a win-win for every SC fan. Try to coexist, not to kill each other.

Hi @Rodolfo I see you've changed the forum titles to now make this more clear. At the time, it wasn't, the plain face meaning of the old forum title as Staff member... I saw this as a breach of trust between developer-client rather than just stealing an idea alone. The optics looked immoral on their face and even Tom agrees that it looked bad. I also wasn't aware, until this morning, that Tom makes websites and sells them? If that's the case... there's an inherent conflict of interest here just in common moral responsibility toward clients.

If a client comes to you and says I bought a license to build X website and asks for help, and then someone with authority on your platform (eg a moderator) then makes the same project (maybe total scopes are different but subject matter exactly the same)... why would anyone trust your platform in coming for help? You allow your mods to not only beat a client to market on a competing idea when the client comes to you for help, but dissolve them of any common decency based responsibility toward paying clients? Sure you can get away with this, but word will get out. Had I saw a review online, which I did thorough research first btw, that this would happen I would not have asked for help nor share why I bought a license... I might not have even bought a license at all. I trusted that those on your team would have a mutual respect. Maybe I was being naive but it's a common expectation. It's not like I would even consider making one of Tom's previous websites.. I have no interest.. I bought a Chevereto license and bundled hosting (more than what was recommended) for only one reason. I had to pay 2 years up front just to secure the license. I then came here for some help and wanted to make a good first impression so I introduced myself and the project. I never expected to meet another SC backer here on your forum team, it was a pleasant surprise.

This issue is about unethical behavior and a trespass of trust a client would normally have between a developer-client relationship. I am also not frustrated, I feel betrayed. That is all. And I said my peace about it for the record on reddit because of negative karma that would likely happen when I release later. The community galvanized around how the optics looked on its face. I also didn't expect a community response to that magnitude. But on its face, it appears immoral. If it were me, I'd be asking my mods "what the hell are you doing?" at least keep it private and off this site.

You all can do what you want to do, but at the end of the day, as a business.. when you allow behaviors like this on your own ship... people will go elsewhere when they learn about it... I agree it's one of the nice things about a global market. But I promise you, if I found a better functioning/looking option.. I would jump ship immediately because of what happened here. And at the very least, I wouldn't have came here for help on issues. Because you allow your mods to not respect client endeavors. It's a conflict of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back