• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Help - Abuse of image hosting

Kayz

Chevereto Member
Hi I all

Well before I came across Chevereto I have been doing my own image hosting on a shared server since 2008. Soon i moved over to Chevereto and then changed servers onto a managed dedicated server where I also host my web development work and websites for friends and families.

My image hosting service receives a few thousand visitors a day. Recently it has come under a lot of abuse from countries like Thailand for uploading illegal images.

There is an action group who report such images for removal. Instead of them coming to me they contact my dedicated server provider and in turn my server provider is issuing me with warnings.

I am doing my best to monitor the site but because I have a few hundred uploads an hour it is not always possible to monitor what is being uploaded.

I have banned the users who upload such content but as you know there will always be ways to work around the bans.

The alternative will be to stop the free image hosting service (which I really don't want to) and change scripts to a premium provider in order to stop such abuse.

What can I do in this situation?

My provider is asking me to approve of the images before they are even uploaded... how can I possibly do this?

Some assorted ideas:

- Enable automatic deletion of guest images
- Disable guest uploads at all
- Require email for social login
- Issue IP bans using wildcards to affect all the range (for example 127.0.0.*)
- Set a low max image size for guest
- Watermark guest images with some ugly watermark so the images won't be usable
- Apply country blocks (by ip, CloudFlare, whatever)
- Try to use CloudFlare or any reverse proxy to hide the real server IP
- Require an account for uploading
- Enable flood protection, use low limits

Hi Rodolfo

Thank you for your response.

The offending images are very few and is typically uploaded once a month. It has happened once earlier on this year and now in October and November consecutively thus my provided showing some frustration.

1. Automatic deletion of guest images? Assuming this feature must be in the newer version of CH? Even if this was enabled I fear they will create an account and do it. Although it will slow them down a little bit only.

2. Disabling guest uploads may be an option... however a lot of people sometimes complain that they don't receive the email after registration or fail to check their junk mail for the verification email.

3. Require email for social login? Do you mean if they want to sign up via Facebook they must enter a valid email address also?

4. I have issued bans on my CH script, server wide and CloudFlare. I have now banned the entire country of Thailand.

5. The server IP is hidden but these organisations have done their homework. They have contacted CloudFlare and CloudFlare gave out my server details and have asked me to delete the illegal image cache also. Then my server contacts me!

6. Flood protection already enabled. As they're not flooding really they are uploading illegal images once a month.

I think I will begin by updating my CH site. Is there anyway I can stop nudity being uploaded at all?

I know, it is not a news for Rodolfo but report button can help us too. Users are lazy, users are so ....... lazy and report by contact form is not the way. Simple button for anybody (members, guests) without any names, mails, registrations etc. ... clear name and desc of the button and just to push it.

I know, it is not a news for Rodolfo but report button can help us too. Users are lazy, users are so ....... lazy and report by contact form is not the way. Simple button for anybody (members, guests) without any names, mails, registrations etc. ... clear name and desc of the button and just to push it.

This is exactly what I ssid to my host. Why isn't the organisation emailing me or reporting the images. I am checking my emails every day. But instead they send emails to the data centre and then my host giving me a bollocking expecting to do a machines jobs by monitoring every single upload.

The best way around it is to keep on reporting the images to me so I can remove them as soon as possible.

I really could do with a work around.

But instead they send emails to the data centre
Most of users don't trust us at all, unfortunately ... especial if we are talking about sites with 18+ content ... They are thinking "Oh, those bastards host illegal pictures and make money and don't care about anything else ... they must burn to hell". And yep, if we will get red (like share) report button right below the image - it can help us to get a little bit of trust from them too.

You aren't alone with this problem, I have had similar situation myself. If unlucky one day police will get to you and accuse you for hosting illegal content and size your pc and so on. But i have worked with solving report button on mine which you can see on following picture

Skärmklipp.png

I have added a Report button, that i can either point to contact form or something else where they can file the complain to me. Secondly the Contact button link is hidden to much causing visitors to be so lazy and complain to datacenter instead of site owner. So maybe Rodolfo should move contact button into a more visible area so visitors will find it better.

My panel shows me:

• Purchased 2013-11-02 00:43:56
  • Expires Until next major release (4.0.0)
How and where do i purchase an upgrade without paying the full price?

I have built a moderation system. While this doesn't prevent images from being accessed via direct link, it will stop images appearing in explore and ads being displayed as it will be marked as NSFW by default on upload.
https://chevereto.com/community/thr...fore-they-appear-in-explore-or-show-ads.8879/

Yes i have seen your thread. However if users want they can disable NSFW from images right?

On the contrary what if users wanted to keep some normal images hidden and i go ahead and make them all safe?

Is there any other work around do you think? Amazon API will be too expensive for me as i have a lot of images being uploaded everyday and a lot of requests are being called even with CloudFlare enabled.

How often you moderate your website anyway? You should moderate the content everyday if you have a public service.

There's no automated moderation feature.

How often you moderate your website anyway? You should moderate the content everyday if you have a public service.

There's no automated moderation feature.

Every day, but it is impossible as there are hundreds of uploads every hour. It really is impossible.

How else do people do it? The Ads are not everywhere as if somebody uploads a nude picture i risk getting banned on ad sense. Otherwise i could have just employed somebody or a few people to sit there and moderate.

Every day, but it is impossible as there are hundreds of uploads every hour. It really is impossible.

How else do people do it? The Ads are not everywhere as if somebody uploads a nude picture i risk getting banned on ad sense. Otherwise i could have just employed somebody or a few people to sit there and moderate.
another solution is to start looking for users that might willing to stand up and be a moderator, so they can help keeping the site clean from illegal/tos breaking images.

Yes i have seen your thread. However if users want they can disable NSFW from images right?

On the contrary what if users wanted to keep some normal images hidden and i go ahead and make them all safe?

Is there any other work around do you think? Amazon API will be too expensive for me as i have a lot of images being uploaded everyday and a lot of requests are being called even with CloudFlare enabled.

1. Yes, they can mark it as safe. But only very few users do that or understand that setting.
2. If they want to keep content hidden, they should be using mark private option instead of NSFW.
3. No other way other than moderating the images regularly.

Moderation takes time, but even with 5K images uploaded per day I can complete it in like less than an hour. Change the listing per page to 200 or 500 to moderate more images at once. If you don't have time to spare everyday, find someone to do it like me. There should be some college students ready to do this for some pocket money. It just an hour of work from home and shouldn't need any technical skills.

I hope v4 will have a real moderation system which should make it more easier.

1. Yes, they can mark it as safe. But only very few users do that or understand that setting.
2. If they want to keep content hidden, they should be using mark private option instead of NSFW.
3. No other way other than moderating the images regularly.

Moderation takes time, but even with 5K images uploaded per day I can complete it in like less than an hour. Change the listing per page to 200 or 500 to moderate more images at once. If you don't have time to spare everyday, find someone to do it like me. There should be some college students ready to do this for some pocket money. It just an hour of work from home and shouldn't need any technical skills.

I hope v4 will have a real moderation system which should make it more easier.
About last part yeah, if some 1 want to help moderate my site can send a PM. But i agree that sometimes us owners have no time to sit every day and moderate.

Back