• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Cloud or Dedicated Servers?

myVortexServersNetworks

Chevereto Member
I am curious to hear your feedback and ideas in regarding using either Chevereto on Cloud or Dedicated Servers and where and why?

I am using Cloud hosting at the moment because of root access and no incode file limits and I get higher RAM and pure bandwidth.

Thanks

It seems to me that you should definitely pay attention to the estimated storage volume. We opened a week ago, but we already have 100+ GB. The VPS server itself does a great job, but the option of using external storage can be expensive in the future (for large volumes), in which case it would be better to use a dedicated server. In our case, we will probably take a dedicated server in the future and configure it as external storage (I definitely won't be able to move it completely).

It seems to me that you should definitely pay attention to the estimated storage volume. We opened a week ago, but we already have 100+ GB. The VPS server itself does a great job, but the option of using external storage can be expensive in the future (for large volumes), in which case it would be better to use a dedicated server. In our case, we will probably take a dedicated server in the future and configure it as external storage (I definitely won't be able to move it completely).
100GB is alot just in week. VPS is ideal for start but if you started on Cloud, it's better because it has ability to scale to bigger packages since with Dedicated Server, you will have to order new servers and then scale them. Right now I am at edge of 1GB but growing. I am testing these out.

For external storage, it's a risk because you will have to pay more due to incoming/outgoing bandwidth and API request and all that. So I'm not sure. Unless get 2nd hard drive or 2nd server and use as storage use only.

Yes, we will only consider a dedicated server as a means to use it as external storage. It will be cheaper than third-party services for this.

Yes, we will only consider a dedicated server as a means to use it as external storage. It will be cheaper than third-party services for this.
For example, you can use Vultr and create 1 cloud with say 16GB RAM and 4 Cores and you can run Chevereto then you can either add 2nd cloud and more clouds or block storage.

That what I am testing at the moment to play around. It's pretty neat. What I like about Vultr, instant deploy.

Just my personal opinion, Cloud is for those who need a really reliable and easy to use server without needing to know much about server management. I would say Cloud is for starters and big enterprise. Once you outgrow from being a small project, Cloud starts charging you like big cooperation and unless you are one, you won't be able to afford. Cloud is scalable, but you will know they scale your bill as well.

Image hosting requires a lot of storage, high bandwidth and you are not going to make much money with it. Hence, you need is a really powerful and cheap dedicated/VPS server. Also need to learn how to manage it as well.

Just my personal opinion, Cloud is for those who need a really reliable and easy to use server without needing to know much about server management. I would say Cloud is for starters and big enterprise. Once you outgrow from being a small project, Cloud starts charging you like big cooperation and unless you are one, you won't be able to afford. Cloud is scalable, but you will know they scale your bill as well.

Image hosting requires a lot of storage, high bandwidth and you are not going to make much money with it. Hence, you need is a really powerful and cheap dedicated/VPS server. Also need to learn how to manage it as well.
That is why I want to suggest people to start off either VPS or Cloud because of root access and more features rather than shared hosting. Once you outgrow, you can always scale to bigger package until you are ready for Dedicated Server.

In the near future, I will be offering instant cloud deploys with pre installed Chevereto-free version in 2021. I've been playing around with it and it'll be interesting so people can start their own gallery site fast.

feedback and ideas in regarding using either Chevereto on Cloud or Dedicated Servers and where and why?
If you talk about cloud servers as those offered by Google Cloud, Amazon, etc, the main difference vs dedicated is that with Cloud Servers you get access to another kind of computing power and bandwidth, the one where you get an easy platform by sacrificing on the price you have to pay for it. With dedicated you get raw computing power, and you have to manage everything. That will be great if you are into this, but for everyone else it will be a nightmare so it really depends on your context and use case.

IMO key is to use best from all the alternatives available, and to spawn cheap external storage as needed.

In the near future, I will be offering instant cloud deploys with pre installed Chevereto-free version in 2021. I've been playing around with it and it'll be interesting so people can start their own gallery site fast.
Awesome, I changed from AGPLv3 to MIT license precisely to allow that kind of provisioning. Hope it turns out well for you.

If you talk about cloud servers as those offered by Google Cloud, Amazon, etc, the main difference vs dedicated is that with Cloud Servers you get access to another kind of computing power and bandwidth, the one where you get an easy platform by sacrificing on the price you have to pay for it. With dedicated you get raw computing power, and you have to manage everything. That will be great if you are into this, but for everyone else it will be a nightmare so it really depends on your context and use case.

IMO key is to use best from all the alternatives available, and to spawn cheap external storage as needed.
Indeed. I love Cloud honestly because of root access and instant deploy but yes its HUGE difference from shared hosting since it takes time for you to understand and how to handle it. I'm used to it but I know it'll scare people out there who dont know the new Cloud technology.

But I think it's great to start with small Cloud like 512MB for $5 a month and install WordPress and play with it, that's how you learn to build a cloud machine and once you get experienced, then you can upgrade to a bigger cloud nodes or Virtual Dedicated or even Bare Metal servers and you can do more with it. I always look for CPU and RAM which is the most important key for me to run my apps smoothly.

For storage and bandwidth, that is my second thing to look because I HATE SATA drives, I rather SSD but now they start offering NVMe (New thing) and look carefully on bandwidth because most of them offer at least 1TB (1000GB) so that is more than enough for starter websites. If your running a large Chevereteo site, get a dedicated server with large bandwidth (Like 50TB to 100TB) and the SSD storage should be 512GB or higher or even get several SSD drives with RAID 1 included, then you are good to go.

Just my 2 cents ..

Nothing wrong with SATA drives as long as you are using RAID for increased performance. You can grab a 15x10TB server from Hetzner for 259 euro/month or 10x10TB for 159 euro/month.

Slap a few SSD cache drives on top of them and you'll be golden.

You can also add on a few cache mirrors in front of the server so frequently accessed images won't impact your storage backend.

Hope it turns out well for you.

While this is the wrong thread for a feature request would it be possible in v4 to store the preview images in separate folders? That way you can shove them into a SSD/NVME and keep the larger images on a different storage backend. Most users when they browse the site in the categories are just scrolling through images so the preview images are the most frequently accessed.

Nothing wrong with SATA drives as long as you are using RAID for increased performance. You can grab a 15x10TB server from Hetzner for 259 euro/month or 10x10TB for 159 euro/month.

Slap a few SSD cache drives on top of them and you'll be golden.

You can also add on a few cache mirrors in front of the server so frequently accessed images won't impact your storage backend.

While this is the wrong thread for a feature request would it be possible in v4 to store the preview images in separate folders? That way you can shove them into a SSD/NVME and keep the larger images on a different storage backend. Most users when they browse the site in the categories are just scrolling through images so the preview images are the most frequently accessed.
I checked Hetzner, pretty interesting. So basically the 10x10TB SATA HDD I checked is $300 Euro ($300USD). Thats not bad and what is nice they have unmetered bandwidth but the thing is server is overseas so I rather in the USA ;)

I checked Hetzner, pretty interesting. So basically the 10x10TB SATA HDD I checked is $300 Euro ($300USD). Thats not bad and what is nice they have unmetered bandwidth but the thing is server is overseas so I rather in the USA ;)

So? I can max the port on the west coast.

It adds a small delay for image loading but it's not noticeable in my opinion.

I'm assuming the storage backend will be connected to your primary server(s) or http cache mirrors. This is the only way you're going to prevent abuse claims from reaching your storage host. I'm also going to assume the backend is encrypted for further security.

So? I can max the port on the west coast.

It adds a small delay for image loading but it's not noticeable in my opinion.

I'm assuming the storage backend will be connected to your primary server(s) or http cache mirrors. This is the only way you're going to prevent abuse claims from reaching your storage host. I'm also going to assume the backend is encrypted for further security.
I'm just stating my experience and opinions so you are entitled to your own.

Once I hit 1TB of storage space then I'll start considering about upgrading etc.

I'm just stating my experience and opinions so you are entitled to your own.

Once I hit 1TB of storage space then I'll start considering about upgrading etc.

But you didn't?? You just said because it was in the EU you didn't want it. You gave no reason on why or explained anything lol so I made the assumption it was because there are still misconceptions on EU-US line performance. Usually from servers that aren't configured properly for long 1000+ mile distances. The TCP stack / kernel needs a few tweaks through sysctl.

I would always choose Dedicated Machines, but it depends which Provider and so on.
In the Eu Region i prefer Netcup, OVH, Hetzner and Webtropia.

Last edited:
But you didn't?? You just said because it was in the EU you didn't want it. You gave no reason on why or explained anything lol so I made the assumption it was because there are still misconceptions on EU-US line performance. Usually from servers that aren't configured properly for long 1000+ mile distances. The TCP stack / kernel needs a few tweaks through sysctl.
or i can add 2nd server in EU and I can act like its S3 storage only but all data files in USA region, maybe?

Back