• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Chevereto features?

pascal

Chevereto Member
Hi, I'm a new freshly user of Chevereto. I'm using it for less than a month ago...I was very excited to install and use it. I do think that the main core system is very strong and fulfilled all my needs. But I'm seeing some flaws.
First, you need to know that I'm not a programmer. I'm a worker in Pulp and Paper industries and I'm 41 years old. I was involved in the www world four years ago when members of the www.cj3apage.com forum decided to bought the website from the owner. I had no knowledge at all about html, css, php, perl, hosting provider... but I was able to rework the website and upgrade our YABB forum. I was so thrilled by my new www hobby that I launched my own Wordpress website. One things that I really liked about YABB software is the plugin (BoardMod) utility and I found the same logic within Wordpress.
That being said, I spend a lot of time on the Chevereto community support and found out that after more then 10 years it's still the work of one man, Rodolfo. It's wonderful but in short term it might kill the whole thing. Why not having a plugin feature where developers would implement request/ad-don/nicetohave stuff? It would save Rodolfo time and have him focus only on the main core system. In long term, those plugins could be integrated to the main core system after they made theirs proof. I think it would speed-up the development of the software.
Does it make sense?

Third-party plugins (like those plugins that heavily modify the core) causes you more trouble than solutions because you have to check what people throws and how it impacts the system. Chevereto is not a big company at all, I can't spend resources in checking other people's code and since it is a commercial script, developers are not willing to review that code for free either. Should I change it to Open Source? To be honest I don't think so. Open Source didn't worked for Chevereto and I'm not being asked about this frequently, which tells me that there's no big interest in collaboration anyway. At least, not in the conventional way in which people collaborate with software. Maybe we need collaboration from casual devs not pros, like focus in the people that want to helps us, not in those that ignore us. Thing is that Open Source doesn't guarantee that your project will work, in fact, I've saw plenty Open Source projects that just died.

Key element here is age. v3.0.0 was released in 2014 as an evolved v2 and it did it right at its time, but now the core is showing its age and everyday is harder to work on Chevereto for me. That's absolutely normal, is similar to how a car manufacturer replaces engines each X years. New needs, new techs. That's why I have already announced that I'm closing v3 series shortly (a couple months) and that I will start v4 full development shortly.

The new core (v4) will allow easier collaboration and it will be easier for me to work with it. It is being crafted from scratch to fit a new programming logic that will allow plenty customization for everybody, doesn't matter your programming skills, everybody will be able to play with it. I've learned a lot since 2014 and this is a never ending learning experience.

Back