• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Chevereto and PHP (8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodolfo

⭐ Chevereto Godlike
Chevereto Staff
Administrator
Hey there,

🥳 Few days ago a new major version of PHP was released and it concerns us because Chevereto is made in PHP, which is a server-side programming language. In this announcement I want to talk about PHP and when PHP 8 ("The ocho") will get supported in Chevereto.

I've been using PHP since 5.0 and is the language in which I'm more proficient with. I've been learning it all these years, basically is the backbone of everything I do, and I think that is by far the most under appreciated language out there. It is great tool when you are newbie and it goes all the way to awesome when you take it seriously.

PHP is well known for being an easy-to-go server-side application model. It has a lot of built-in stuff for the web, you don't need to worry about request binding, cookies, sessions, etc. Those attributes allowed me to use PHP to create Chevereto, to allow users (you) to easily provision it in any capable server and V3 is currently still using all of PHP built-in web tools. Is that reliable.

PHP 8 in Chevereto V3

PHP 8 support for V3 should happen within the next two months perhaps earlier. Being honest, the changes introduced in PHP 8 aren't anything to be extremely worried but I want to have some caution here as the system has so many nested dependencies that I prefer to take this one with ease and save you from the potential hassles. Also, at this time V3 code isn't taking advantage of the JIT or any of the new PHP 8 functions, for the sake of production keep running PHP 7.4 if possible 😉.

You will like to know that starting from V3.18 development I will start using PHP 8 for V3, which will push support for it. However, please note that I will label support for PHP 8 once is safe to use, which could happen in V3.18 ... V3.X.

PHP 8 in Chevereto V4

Both Chevereto V4 and its supporting framework (Chevere) target PHP 8+ with the intention of using all the recent features introduced in the language, provide/pick our own tailored tools and to drop the culture of broad PHP versioning support. I want to do this because supporting from PHP 5.4 up to 7.4 (or any wide range of different PHP versions) it is an ongoing development cost, and a potential security threat for you as users deserve faster access to newer software.

Being fair, keeping on the edge of new versions is also costly, but it is a cost that directly improves the software for the future, not for supporting an old infra that will get replaced anyway.

But, the most important part is that I started to take PHP seriously with V4. Just check the base framework, the quality and coding standard is day and night compared with V3. Same goes for performance, but that will be described in a future announcement.

Hope you like the heads up,
Rodolfo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back