• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.

Cheap CDN for your website

vlaur

Chevereto Member
Hi,

If someone want to use an CDN for website I have here an recommendation.

Sign-up Link for KeyCDN: http://po.st/cheapcdn

In most part an normal website like blog or like chevereto image hosting need an CDN who use pull requests, so keycdn is perfect and most cheap solution just $0.04/GB that mean 25GB traffic with just 1$, $4 for 100GB.

KeyCDN features:

General Zone Features

• Create several zones
  • Use your CNAMEs
  • GZip compression
  • Export raw log files
  • Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS)
  • Force downloads
  • Hotlink protection (restriction of HTTP referrer)
  • Custom rules
Pull Zone
  • Purge an entire zone or purge a single file
  • Cache query strings
  • Override origin cache-control headers
  • Override origin expires headers
  • Strip cookies
  • Enable canonical headers
  • Custom request HTTP header field (X-Pull)

Last edited:
I happily use CDN.net for my site. Ends up being around 2.5 to 3 cents a GB. I have 2-3 nodes in the US it uses and then one in EU.

305e550aabc4.png

OUCH!!! lol

Is impossible to get extremely cheap CDN rates in a reliable CDN for 350TB, you just can't. I've made some numbers and turns out that:

350 TB
MaxCDN $12,544 (flat)
CloudFront $20,000 to $30.000 and above (it depends on many factors) http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html
EdgeCast $90,000 + $750 setup. (I've an old quote for 5TB mo. $1,300 USD)
CDNSun $10,328

And so on...

Bloody hell. Just thought it would be funny to post it up :D
I don't think I've ever seen an online service cost so much. :eek:

Bloody hell. Just thought it would be funny to post it up :D
I don't think I've ever seen an online service cost so much. :eek:

FYI, EdgeCast is used by Tumblr, LinkedIn, WordPress, Imgur, Pinterest, Myspace, JustFab, Etsy, Bluefly, Overstock, Box, SoundCloud, Break.com, Zendesk, Yahoo!, etc. They got money.

Careful with CDN.net , support is horribe, 2 hours of speaking in chat and my problem with cleaning an cname wasn't resolved, my issue was moved to Level 2 support and don't know how much will take now to solve my issue.

CDN.net have some verry cheap pops for us and one in europe but how I say, careful with them.

If you want an stable cdn try maxcdn, keycdn, cdnsun. Just tested cdnsun and is verry good also keycdn, never tested maxcdn, but from what seen chevereto demo is ussing maxcdn.

I can't use maxcdn because it don't have pops so closer to my country in comparation with other cdn services.

How to choose perfect cdn ?
First get an trial plan, and take a look for price per GB or TB for pop's closer to your country and select just cheapest pops. I recommend no more than 10 pops.

Why get pop's closer to your country?
Isn't the purpose of a cdn to speed up websites by serving files from a location closer to people that are far from the main server's location?
And if you target only a country then just buy/rent a server in that country.

Origin server is in NL (because is cheap), and my country is in east of Europe, so I preffer an cdn who have an pop in hungary, ukraine romania or bulgaria.

Why get pop's closer to your country?
Isn't the purpose of a cdn to speed up websites by serving files from a location closer to people that are far from the main server's location?
And if you target only a country then just buy/rent a server in that country.

Is the same with me I have CDN enabled in chevereto.com and demo.chevereto.com and website load is the same for me because I'm in Chile and the server and closest POP is in the U.S

I'm just curious about CloudFlare for a CDN?
https://www.cloudflare.com/plans

Am I reading this right...free? No bandwidth fee? Or $20 a month for PRO
I don't see anything about traffic limits, only this:

"We never charge for bandwidth
CloudFlare will never bill you for bandwidth usage. We believe if your site suddenly gets popular or suffers an attack, you shouldn't have to dread your bandwidth bill. CloudFlare charges a flat rate per plan, which is based on functionality."

Hmmm

@ebturner
Cloudflare is not very good for image hosting IMHO.
Because of the way the work, they need to proxy each response and not only static content, increasing your network delay and potentially lowering your rating in search engines.

You can of course be clever about it and create CNAME and server alias to proxy only statics, but then again they've got that shady Section 10 in their TOS >_> https://www.cloudflare.com/terms

CloudFlare CDN is not the same as a real CDN. Their DDoS protection is also not the same as real DDoS protection. I think that CloudFlare is good for you to start with it and get a taste of the thing but at the end you will notice that it doesn't do for your website anything substancial.

Last edited:
Careful with CDN.net , support is horribe, 2 hours of speaking in chat and my problem with cleaning an cname wasn't resolved, my issue was moved to Level 2 support and don't know how much will take now to solve my issue.

CDN.net have some verry cheap pops for us and one in europe but how I say, careful with them.

If you want an stable cdn try maxcdn, keycdn, cdnsun. Just tested cdnsun and is verry good also keycdn, never tested maxcdn, but from what seen chevereto demo is ussing maxcdn.

I can't use maxcdn because it don't have pops so closer to my country in comparation with other cdn services.

How to choose perfect cdn ?
First get an trial plan, and take a look for price per GB or TB for pop's closer to your country and select just cheapest pops. I recommend no more than 10 pops.
Interesting. I found it all easy to set up, then again I can get a server working with little issue so setting up basic domain routing is not a problem... so I've not had to use their support.

Price wise it's been fairly helpful. I offset a large number of static images as well as JS on there. Since then overall server performance seems to be a bit better for a VPS. As in... I'm not having them message me weekly about how I've exceeded my allocated processing even while increasing actual numbers. I think this is inpart of offloading from the server onto a CDN.

But I can't agree with you more on the part about taking advantage of the trial. Generally speaking it should only take you an hour or two to get things set up and running on the CDN... So testing one out is definitely worth it. You won't notice the bandwidth reduction right away, you will however notice an increase in speed if you put the PoPs in proper locations. As I said, I have 2 US and 1 Europe. Since a large portion of site visitors are Benelux and Germany... Netherlands was an ideal location and I can only hope it provides them proper speed compared to loading from the server in Central US.

Interesting. I found it all easy to set up, then again I can get a server working with little issue so setting up basic domain routing is not a problem... so I've not had to use their support.

Price wise it's been fairly helpful. I offset a large number of static images as well as JS on there. Since then overall server performance seems to be a bit better for a VPS. As in... I'm not having them message me weekly about how I've exceeded my allocated processing even while increasing actual numbers. I think this is inpart of offloading from the server onto a CDN.

But I can't agree with you more on the part about taking advantage of the trial. Generally speaking it should only take you an hour or two to get things set up and running on the CDN... So testing one out is definitely worth it. You won't notice the bandwidth reduction right away, you will however notice an increase in speed if you put the PoPs in proper locations. As I said, I have 2 US and 1 Europe. Since a large portion of site visitors are Benelux and Germany... Netherlands was an ideal location and I can only hope it provides them proper speed compared to loading from the server in Central US.
L2orlX8.png

This cheap pop for 0.2 cents is down, you shoult use next Amsterdam pop with 2.5 cents. How I say, is cheap but is worst CDN services ever seen. You can expect to big surprise your images can stop to be served anytime.
If you have this pop actived than you european people will use pops from US.

How I say, recommend cdnsun or keycdn.

L2orlX8.png

This cheap pop for 0.2 cents is down, you shoult use next Amsterdam pop with 2.5 cents. How I say, is cheap but is worst CDN services ever seen. You can expect to big surprise your images can stop to be served anytime.
If you have this pop actived than you european people will use pops from US.

How I say, recommend cdnsun or keycdn.
Not really understanding what you're implying. I'm paying 2.5c so... $0.025 where as yours is listing $.002 - Rather large difference. If you notice there are two locations in Amsterdam, for what ever reason. I doubt you can figure out the PoP's server company from simply that. :p

I highly doubt the images would stop being served and I'm curious as to what you're basing that one. I run a fairly decent sized forum and I never get anyone mentioning that core functions of the forum are not being displayed (ie image). :p So... You're concerns are unfounded at the least.

My choice is INXY (www.inxy.com/cdn). They have tens of highly effective and cheap networks with per-gigabyte pricing. Besides, servers are located in the USA, Europe, Asia, Russia and Latin America, so you will definitely figure out a great solution. They have free trial for up to a month, and customer support is always friendly and available.

Back