• Welcome to the Chevereto user community!

Here users from all over the world gather around to learn the latest about Chevereto and contribute with ideas to improve the software.

Please keep in mind:

• 😌 This community is user driven. Be polite with other users.
    • 👉 Is required to purchase a Chevereto license to participate in this community (doesn't apply to Pre-sales).
    • 💸 Purchase a Pro Subscription to get access to active software support and faster ticket response times.
  • Chevereto Support CLST

Support response

Support checklist

500 Internal Server Error

PhiGi

Chevereto Member
I found many forum posts about the problem. Unfortunately, no contribution could help me. When image uploading larger files, I get a 500 error.
  • php ini checked.
  • errors are not logged, I do not know why no error appears.

• apache2 (nginx tested too)
  • php7.2
  • standalone installation
Anyone else an idea that is not already in the forum?

Thanks for help

Last edited:
Error 500 basically means nothing (from wikipedia):
A generic error message, given when an unexpected condition was encountered and no more specific message is suitable.

Most likely your website gets out of ram when uploading a large file and PHP just stop execution (Fatal error: Unable to allocate X bytes....). The solutions that you have are basically 2:
  1. Get more ram (php memory limit)
  2. Use less php memory (decrease the max image size setting in dashboard)
In any case, this is not something that can get fixed with software. Plain and easy, your hardware doesn't meet your expectations.

It will help a lot to know how big are the images causing this, if you have downresize settings and the related php limits (memory, post max size, etc). In the future, try to be very clear when you ask stuff because without context our feedback is just useless.

I wrote that the php.ini is checked. That means max upload and post max size etc are all set correctly (128MB). Max_execution is at 300. Max Memory 128MB

The server has 8GB Ram.

I see no reason why it does not work.
I would not write here in the forum if I have not already tried everything obvious.

I also tried nginx to 100 with client_max_body_size. Nothing works.

Tested Image-Size: 2-6MB

I'm sorry but unless you provide an actual error message (again, "Internal Server Error" doesn't help me) I'm unable to help you any further.

I said that I have already tested as obvious. The documentation is the first. Then I searched everything in the forum. And only then did I write here.

It works nothing that is written in the forum or in the documentation.

You will have to document yourself in how to get your server to log errors for your website. Chevereto doesn't write any extra log files, it relies on the bundled php error_log and your server error logging.

Sometimes happens that people configure servers to silence error reporting and blame the software for it. Some servers will even ignore the runtime configuration.

Either that or you just simply don't know where to look for the error_log (php) or the server error log (Apache or nginx).

In any case, this is something that that you should ask to your server administrator.

I had the same issue when uploading larger files. I had to increase the memory limit to 512 mb. What kind of server setup do you have? (VPS?)

I had the same issue when uploading larger files. I had to increase the memory limit to 512 mb. What kind of server setup do you have? (VPS?)
Thanks for you message.

I tried it with a vServer. Now I have a new installation on a Dedicated server made. There I have no more 500 error. But now it's up to 99%. For 2-3 minutes. After that comes the Loading Icon above the thumbnail, and nothing else happens.

Attachments

• ub1.PNG
    ub1.PNG
    205.8 KB · Views: 11
  • ub2.PNG
    ub2.PNG
    231.6 KB · Views: 11
Can't tell you exactly where is your server error (needs debugging) and since you aren't providing any relevant error log entry I can't say for sure where the issue is.

I'm unable to assist you at all, not without actual server messages.

I have tried it on 4 differently server configurations and 2 servers (vserver & dedicated server). I have set the error loggin to intensive. But no errors are logged with Chevereto!

I comply with all requirements of Chevereto. I do not get it.

I am aware that you do not need to provide support for server setup. I am grateful for your help

Because your server settings can override the error reporting functionality built-in PHP/Apache/nginx meaning that even if the script is asking the server to log or show error, your server simply ignores that instruction. Chevereto DOES NOT provide a stand-alone error logging functionality, it relies on your server logging.

Also, logs can be being written in another directory that you aren't aware of, happens all the time. People look for the log based on a google search for "Error log location" rather than using the actual path used in the server configuration settings.

I strongly advise you to rely in managed servers or simply get more into it so you can understand the situation better. Also, context. Please. Is not the same to upload 1MB image vs 40MB image and I don't even know your server libs versions. Do please realize that you need to provide info, details, context. Please.

I understood it from the beginning. But you did not understand that I configured the logging of the server to intensive. I professionally configure load balancers with large SQL Galera clusters, so a simple Apache btw Nginx should not be a problem. The loggin from the server is configured and also writes, but there are no errors from Chevereto.

nginx 1.10.3 (also tested with apache2 2.4.25)
MariaDB 10.3
php7.0 (also tested with 5.6 and 7.3)
based on debian stretch

Btw: With the same configuration i have installed a nextcloud instanz. No Problem with uploading 5GB Files.

Last edited:
Btw: With the same configuration i have installed a nextcloud instanz. No Problem with uploading 5GB Files.
I've 15,000 installs out there and yours is the only one giving this issue.

Hope that you can sort this out.

Cheers,
Rodolfo.

@PhiGi

He can't see your configuration, but it's weird you are getting this error without any logs. How is your chevereto configured? are you trying on local storage everytime? Have you activated user or language routing?

Could you provide us with an test URL, or grant me access to your dashboard on one of your dev sites so I can take a look?

Thank you for your message.

I have tested with local and remote storage. Routing for lang and user is disabled.

Can I send you the login data via PM?

Thanks =)

Back